What is Apple Cider Vinegar?
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) is an amber-coloured vinegar made from fermented apples. The entire process involved two steps. In the first step, the apples are pressed to extract the liquid, which undergoes alcoholic fermentation in the presence of yeast. The second and final step involves the bacterial fermentation of this alcohol to acetic acid, which provides a sour and vinegar-like flavour to apple cider vinegar.
Apple cider vinegar is a popular remedy owing to its potent antimicrobial and antioxidant properties.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Benefits & Uses
Let us discuss some of the health benefits of apple cider vinegar.
- Weight loss: People use apple cider vinegar for weight loss as it has been shown to boost metabolism, provide fullness, maintain blood sugar levels and prevent extra calorie intake.
- Manage blood sugar levels: Apple cider vinegar is considered safe for individuals with diabetes as it helps maintain insulin levels, prevent sudden spikes, and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Boost immunity: The powerful antimicrobial nature makes apple cider vinegar excellent for our immune health as it kills harmful bacteria and reduces infection risk.
- Healthy heart: Studies claim that apple cider vinegar supports healthy heart functioning. It reduces harmful cholesterol and total triglyceride levels, thus minimizing the chance of heart disease.
- Beautiful skin: One can also use apple cider vinegar for skin to treat mild eczema or dry skin as the antimicrobial effect and acidic pH of apple cider vinegar act as a protective skin barrier and cleanser.
- Healthy hair: Apple cider vinegar for hair is another common topical use where it can help get rid of dandruff and render a healthy scalp.
- Treat sore throat: If you suffer from sore throat, try gargling with diluted apple cider vinegar. It provides relief through its antibacterial effect.
- Support digestion: Apple cider vinegar is good for our digestive health. It supports the growth of gut-friendly bacteria and prevents indigestion issues like bloating, heartburn and nausea.
- Prevent high blood pressure: People suffering from high blood pressure can use apple cider vinegar to regulate it. Studies revealed that apple cider vinegar helps lower blood pressure by reducing the activity of an enzyme- renin.
- Food preservative: Apple cider vinegar can also preserve or pickle food and prevent it from getting spoiled.
Apple Cider Vinegar: Types
If you plan to purchase apple cider vinegar, you will find that market is flooded with varieties of it. Hopefully, this little guide will clarify the differences and help you choose suitable apple cider vinegar per your health goal.
- Apple Cider Vinegar with the Mother: This apple cider vinegar contains the mother produced naturally during fermentation. It is unfiltered, has a cloudy appearance, and comprises digestive enzymes good for digestion.
- Filtered Apple Cider Vinegar: This vinegar is obtained when the apple cider vinegar with the mother undergoes filtering and the mother is removed from it. It appears like a clear amber-coloured liquid.
- Unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar: Food is heated to a very high temperature and then suddenly cooled during pasteurization. This process helps increase the shelf life. An unpasteurized form of apple cider vinegar indicates no heating, which otherwise can kill some good bacteria.
- Organic Apple Cider Vinegar: This apple cider vinegar uses organic apples grown without chemical fertilizers. Thus apple cider vinegar obtained is free from chemicals.
How to choose the right apple cider vinegar for you?
Apple cider vinegar is commonly available in the form of liquid, capsules, and gummies. Before buying, it is essential to decide the form of apple cider vinegar you prefer.
If you prefer liquid apple cider vinegar, it is advisable to choose pure and unfiltered apple cider vinegar with the mother. It should be unpasteurized and free from artificial flavours. Do not get fooled by the sparkling, crystal-clear liquid. They are processed, filtered, and devoid of beneficial nutrients.
How to use apple cider vinegar?
Apple cider vinegar is very versatile to consume, and you can enjoy it at any time of the day.
- One can swallow apple cider vinegar capsules with water or a beverage of choice.
- One can chew apple cider vinegar gummies as it is.
- It is advisable to dilute liquid apple cider vinegar before using it. One can take 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in 150ml water either early morning empty stomach, before meals, or at bedtime.
- Apple cider vinegar can also be added as a salad dressing, marinade, soup, sauce, homemade cakes, or candies.
- Some people also prefer to apply apple cider vinegar topically. If you suffer from skin conditions and wish to use apple cider vinegar on your skin or hair, it is better to seek medical advice before using the product.
Where to buy apple cider vinegar?
Nutrabay is India's trusted multi-brand store with many top International and Indian brands. At Nutrabay, you can get the best apple cider vinegar price. All the products are delivered directly, without any middlemen or 3rd party sellers. Visit Nutrabay.com to explore a wide range of the best apple cider vinegar online.
Is apple cider vinegar safe to use?
There are no known apple cider vinegar side effects, and it is considered safe to use when consumed in moderation. Excess intake of apple cider vinegar is not advisable as it might lead to low potassium levels in the body.
Pregnant and lactating women, people with acid-reflux issues, and those taking medications like blood thinners or diabetes medicines must consult their doctor before using apple cider vinegar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Do I need to take any precautions with apple cider vinegar?
It is advisable to take liquid apple cider vinegar in diluted form, which otherwise can result in stomach acidity. Also, always rinse your mouth with normal water after drinking apple cider vinegar to prevent the eroding of tooth enamel.
2. How to drink apple cider vinegar for weight loss?
It is advisable to take 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water twice per day, either early morning or before meals.
3. How to use apple cider vinegar for hair?
One can add a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar to the water. After washing the hair, massage the scalp with apple cider vinegar, leave it for a few minutes and rinse.
4. How to use apple cider vinegar for skin?
One can apply diluted apple cider vinegar on the skin or acne-prone area with cotton. Leave it a few minutes and then rinse.
5. How to take apple cider vinegar for PCOS?
For PCOS, taking 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar in warm water is recommended, and drinking it every morning.
6. How to use apple cider vinegar for kidney stones?
Apple cider vinegar is believed to relieve kidney stones by breaking them into smaller pieces, reducing pain and inflammation caused due to them. One can take 1-2 tsp of diluted apple cider vinegar with a few lemon drops and drink it every day at any time.
7. What is the correct apple cider vinegar dosage?
One can take 1-2 tsp of apple cider vinegar twice daily. But in case of any medical condition, consult an expert to understand the suitable dosage for you.