What is Melatonin?
Melatonin is fondly called the sleep hormone. Our body naturally produces it and is secreted by the pineal gland located in our brain. This hormone is released in the body in response to darkness in accordance with the body clock. Darkness triggers more melatonin production, which signals the body to sleep.
Due to its significant role in regulating the sleep-wake cycle, melatonin supplements have gained popularity among people who experience trouble sleeping.
Melatonin: Benefits & Uses
Here are some of the benefits one can expect on taking melatonin tablets:
- May support better sleep: Try a melatonin supplement if you experience sleep issues or want to reduce jet lag symptoms due to frequent travelling. Studies have shown that melatonin act as a natural sleep aid, and taking it before bedtime can help us fall asleep better and improve overall sleep quality.
- Reduce the risk of depression: Lack of adequate sleep and changes in our circadian rhythm is linked with an increased chance of depression and mood disorders. Melatonin supplements can help prevent that.
- May boost Human Growth Hormone (HGH) levels: People with an active lifestyle like athletes, gym-goers, and bodybuilders may benefit from taking melatonin tablets. Meta-analysis suggests that melatonin supplementation may increase HGH levels in men and improve strength and muscle growth.
- May promote eye health: By acting as a powerful antioxidant, melatonin supplements keep our eyes healthy, protect the retina from damage, delay age-related macular deterioration, and preserve visual acuity.
How does melatonin work?
Melatonin works with circadian rhythm or our body's internal clock. It binds to receptors in the body, reduces nerve activity and helps us relax. In addition, it can reduce levels of dopamine, a hormone that enables us to stay awake. Melatonin levels begin to rise in the body when it is dark outside, signalling to your body that it is time to sleep.
How to choose the right melatonin for you?
Melatonin supplements are widely available as pills, tablets, gummies, syrups and strips. You may find them in various formulations or combinations with natural herb extracts. Buyers of melatonin supplements should carefully read the ingredient list. The product must be free from harmful additives that can pose health risks. Check the dosage and opt for only a certified and tested supplement.
How to use melatonin?
Start with a small dosage if you plan to take a melatonin supplement. It is advisable to take it two hours before bedtime. One can take chewable melatonin gummies or strips just like that.
Melatonin pills or tablets can be swallowed with water or milk. Avoid taking it with caffeine or alcohol.
Where to buy melatonin?
Nutrabay provides you with the best of supplements at the most genuine prices, along with the assurance of authenticity. You can check out the range of the best melatonin brands in India at Nutrabay with guaranteed hassle-free delivery.
Is melatonin safe to use?
Research indicates that melatonin is safe, non-toxic and non-addictive for adults' short- and long-term usage. One should not exceed the recommended dosage that may vary from brand to brand.
However, it may interfere with certain medications like anti-depressants, blood thinners, sedatives, and immunosuppressants. If you are on any medications, seek medical advice to enjoy the efficacy of a melatonin supplement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to increase melatonin naturally?
One can increase melatonin naturally by including the following in the diet:
- Melatonin-rich foods like tart cherries, chicken, tomato, nuts and seeds.
- Tryptophan-rich foods like dairy foods, banana and grains, eggs, pulses, meat and fish.
- Vitamin B6-rich foods like beans, avocado, chicken, nuts and seeds.
2. What is the ideal melatonin dosage?
One should begin with the lowest dosage possible, and you can gradually increase the dosage under the supervision of your doctor. Doses of 0.5-10 mg per day appear effective, though it is best to follow label recommendations.
3. Are there any melatonin side effects?
Melatonin is usually safe with minimal side effects like sleepiness, dizziness, headache and nausea.
4. What happens in the case of melatonin overdose?
Too much melatonin can alter your body's natural sleep-wake cycle.
It can also cause side effects like:
- Daytime drowsiness
- Joint pain
- Altered blood pressure
5. What are the natural sources of melatonin?
Here are some melatonin foods:
- Tart cherry
- Nuts and Seeds
6. What is the difference between melanin and melatonin?
Melanin is a pigment present in the skin, eye, ear, hair and central nervous system. It is responsible for our skin colour and is produced by tyrosine.
Melatonin is a hormone produced by tryptophan and present in the brain, liver, intestines, blood and muscles.
7. Is melatonin safe for children?
Melatonin for kids is generally considered safe. It may help them to cope with sleeping difficulties. However, it should always be given under the doctor's supervision for appropriate dosing and to prevent any side effects.