What is Chromium?
Chromium is an essential mineral utilized by our body during energy metabolism and to improve insulin sensitivity. Chromium supplements are popular among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts.
Although chromium deficiency is rare, this mineral is poorly absorbed in the gut. However, the loss may increase during stress and strenuous exercise. Under such circumstances, one can consider taking chromium supplements. Some chromium foods include grape juice, broccoli, whole wheat flour, Brewer's yeast, green beans, apples, and poultry.
Chromium picolinate is the most common and preferred supplemental form. In this, chromium mineral is attached to three molecules of picolinic acid and is considered better absorbed by the body.
Chromium: Benefits & Uses
Let's understand how chromium supplements can benefit us.
- Healthy blood glucose levels: Chromium picolinate supplements have been shown to improve insulin sensitivity. They can help maintain healthy blood sugar levels by enhancing the body's response to insulin.
- Support metabolism: Studies suggest that chromium takes part in the metabolism of proteins, fats, and carbs. It can aid in better metabolism and boost energy levels.
- Lower cholesterol: Chromium picolinate supplements can help reduce harmful LDL cholesterol levels while raising beneficial HDL cholesterol levels.
- Support weight loss: Chromium picolinate might aid weight loss by suppressing hunger cravings and reducing overall calorie intake.
How does chromium work?
Chromium is believed to work by regulating insulin action and blood sugar levels by transporting glucose to cells.
How to choose the right chromium for you?
While opting for a chromium supplement, consider chromium picolinate, which is the best form. Check the strength per serving and recommended dosage. The supplement should be tested, certified, and free from unwanted fillers and additives.
How to use chromium?
One can take chromium supplements with food or water at any time of the day.
Where to buy chromium?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best chromium picolinate at the best price and to invest smartly in health supplements. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out bodybuilding supplements to feel great every day and build a perfectly healthy body.
Is chromium safe to use?
There are no reported side effects of chromium when taken in moderation. One must avoid taking chromium in large doses. Chromium picolinate might interfere with the absorption of thyroid medications; therefore, it is advisable to keep a gap of at least 3 to 4 hours before or after any chromium supplement. People on diabetes, anti-inflammatory, and beta-blocker medications must consult a doctor before taking chromium supplements.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the best time to take a chromium supplement?
One can take it any time of the day, preferably with a meal or as advised by the healthcare professional.
2. What is the ideal dosage of a chromium supplement?
The dosage might vary from brand to brand, and the reason for which chromium supplement is used. As per ICMR, an adult needs 50 mcg of chromium daily. Therefore, it is advisable to start chromium supplements only under an expert's supervision.
3. Are there any chromium picolinate side effects?
When taken in excess, it can affect liver, kidney, and thyroid gland functioning and cause mental illness.