What is HMB?
HMB or β-hydroxy β-methyl butyrate is the metabolite of the amino acid leucine. It is also known by the names: beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyric acid, beta-hydroxy beta-methylbutyrate, and hydroxymethylbutyrate.
Several studies suggest that HMB has the potential to enhance lean body mass and overall athletic performance. Due to its ergogenic effect, the HMB supplement is popular among bodybuilders and strength and power athletes, who use it to promote exercise performance and skeletal muscle hypertrophy. One can also obtain it by consuming protein-rich foods like dairy products, eggs, poultry, seafood, soybean, and quinoa.
HMB: Benefits & Uses
Here are some benefits of taking an HMB supplement.
- Support muscle growth: HMB may aid new muscle growth by augmenting protein synthesis while reducing muscle breakdown. This result in more significant gains in muscle and strength.
- Boost strength: People aiming to build muscle strength can consider HMB supplements. Studies have shown that taking an HMB supplement combined with regular exercise can amplify muscle strength.
- Facilitate recovery: HMB supplements may help minimize muscle damage, relieve soreness, and accelerate muscle recovery.
- Promote healthy weight: An HMB supplement can also be helpful for people trying to lose weight without losing muscle. HMB has been shown to increase growth hormone, which stimulates fat breakdown.
- Support cognitive health: HMB may help prevent cognitive decline due to its ability to cross the blood-brain barrier.
- May aid bone health: Studies suggest that HMB also has an anabolic effect on our bones and influences bone metabolism, which may help strengthen bone health.
How does HMB work?
Leucine plays a vital role in protein metabolism, muscle protein synthesis, and post-exercise recovery. HMB is produced from leucine amino acid. When ingested, leucine is metabolized to KIC (a-ketoisocaproate), which further gets metabolized to HMB. HMB may act as a path to help keep muscles in balance by slowing muscle breakdown and preserving muscle mass.
How to choose the right HMB for you?
HMB supplements are available in capsule, powder, or tablet forms. One should opt for a certified supplement from a trusted source like Nutrabay. The product must be free from unwanted additives or fillers.
Evidence suggests that HMB works better with calcium, vitamin D, or creatine. Hence, one can opt for creatine HMB or supplements containing HMB and vitamin D or calcium. It is advisable to check the dosage, serving size, and recommended usage.
How to use HMB?
One can take an HMB supplement with water or juice.
Where to buy HMB?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best HMB supplement and to invest smartly in health supplements. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out bodybuilding supplements to feel great every day and build a perfectly healthy body.
Is HMB safe to use?
Currently, there are no reported HMB side effects when taken within the recommended dosage.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the ideal dosage of HMB?
Clinical studies suggest an intake of 3 grams of HMB daily to enjoy its health benefits.
2. What is the best time to take HMB?
Experts recommend taking HMB one hour before a workout.
3. Which is better - leucine or HMB?
Experts believe that both leucine and HMB have the potential to attenuate muscle loss and enhance anabolism, and both may be equally beneficial.