What is milk thistle?
Milk thistle (Silybum marianum) is a herb known for its beneficial effects on liver and gall bladder health. The milk thistle plant bears distinct purple flowers and is commonly found in Europe, Asia, America, and Africa.
Milk thistle extract has recently gained popularity among dietary supplements as a remedy to boost liver health and treat certain liver-related health conditions.
Milk thistle: Benefits & Uses
Here are a few potential health benefits of using milk thistle.
- Antioxidant: Milk thistle contains an active ingredient called Silymarin which majorly accounts for its health-boosting properties. Studies have shown that Silymarin possesses strong antioxidant properties. It inhibits the free radical formation and acts as a radical scavenger during stress conditions like intense workouts. It decreases oxidative stress and prevents our healthy cells from getting damaged.
- Protects the liver: Milk thistle exhibits a hepatoprotective effect in the body. Some mechanisms observed under clinical trials through which milk thistle protects our liver are antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, antifibrotic, blocking toxins, and enhancing protein synthesis.
- May help manage diabetes: Milk thistle may help maintain healthy blood sugar levels by reducing insulin resistance and improving insulin sensitivity and HbA1c levels.
- May boost brain health: Milk thistle is also deemed a potential neuroprotective agent. With its antioxidant and tissue regeneration properties, Silymarin may help reduce the risk of brain decline and prevent age-related neurological conditions like Alzheimer's and Parkinson's disease.
- May enhance athletic performance: Milk thistle may help boost exercise performance by improving recovery, body composition, and muscle hypertrophy.
- Boost bone health: Milk thistle may help prevent the risk of developing osteoporosis by stimulating bone formation and preventing bone loss.
How does milk thistle work?
Milk thistle contains an active ingredient (around 65-80%) called Silymarin. This compound has potent antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and liver-protecting characteristics, providing all the health benefits of milk thistle.
How to choose the right milk thistle for you?
These are a few points to consider before buying a milk thistle supplement.
- Milk thistle extracts are available in various forms like tablets, capsules or powder. Choose the form which you prefer.
- Check the ingredients and recommended dosage. Studies suggest one can take around 420 mg of milk thistle extract thrice daily. However, if you plan to take milk thistle for a medical condition, consult a doctor for a suitable dosage.
- The supplement should be lab-tested, FSSAI-approved and free from unwanted fillers or additives.
How to use milk thistle?
One can take milk thistle tablets, capsules or other oral supplements form as per the recommended instructions mentioned on the pack.
Where to buy milk thistle?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best milk thistle tablets and capsules for men and women. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out Nutrabay for the best milk thistle price to feel great every day and build a perfectly healthy body.
Which is the best milk thistle?
Nutrabay Wellness Milk Thistle is the best supplement to consider as it provides 1000 mg of pure milk thistle extract per serving. The product does not contain fillers or unwanted additives and comes in vegan-friendly capsules. Nutrabay Wellness Milk Thistle is manufactured in compliance with FSSAI guidelines in a USFDA-certified facility; hence one can be assured of its quality.
Is milk thistle safe to use?
Milk thistle capsules and tablets are generally safe to consume when taken in moderation. However, one may experience mild symptoms like headache, nausea, itching, and stomach upset.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Are there any milk thistle side effects?
Milk thistle is usually safe, but it may cause some side effects like allergic reactions, nausea, itching, abdominal distress or headache.
2. When to take milk thistle, morning or night?
One can take milk thistle at any time of the day.
3. What is the correct milk thistle dosage per day?
The dosage will vary depending on the reason for which it is used. There is no recommended dosage by ICMR. However, studies suggest one can take 280-420 mg of milk thistle extract thrice daily to enjoy the health benefits.