What is turmeric?
Turmeric is an Indian spice widely used in culinary and traditional medicine. Turmeric is known for its powerful anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antibiotic properties, due to which it is extensively promoted as a dietary supplement.
The yellow colour and potent health benefits of turmeric are due to the presence of curcumin. Curcumin is a polyphenol and is the main active ingredient of turmeric. It is being recognized and used worldwide in many different forms for multiple potential health benefits. Curcumin is also used as a natural preservative or colouring agent.
Turmeric: Benefits & Uses
Here are some of the health benefits of turmeric and curcumin.
- Antioxidant: Turmeric and curcumin has been shown to neutralize free radicals and improve oxidative stress. It can help increase the natural antioxidant capacity of the body.
- Anti-inflammatory: Curcumin and turmeric may also benefit people with arthritis and joint pain. They can suppress the inflammatory markers' levels and lessen pain and swelling. Active people and athletes can also consider taking curcumin supplements to relieve muscle soreness and speed up recovery.
- Enhance immune health: Curcumin present in turmeric can modulate immune health by improving the immune response. Intake of turmeric and curcumin can help strengthen immune healthy naturally and enhance the body's disease-fighting ability.
- Boost brain health: Studies suggest that turmeric can help increase brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) levels, which plays a vital role in learning and memory.
- Reduce heart disease risk: Curcumin may help minimize heart disease risk by preventing inflammation and improving the lining of blood vessels.
- May decrease cancer risk: Studies suggest that curcumin may slow the progression of cancer cell growth, protect healthy cells from cancer, and improve the effectiveness of chemotherapy.
- Minimize the risk of metabolic diseases: Turmeric and curcumin may reduce the incidence of metabolic disorders like diabetes, hypertension, insulin resistance, and obesity by reducing inflammation and oxidative stress in the body.
- Improve skin health: Curcumin and turmeric may improve skin health by reducing acne, blemishes, and dark spots.
- Better digestion: Turmeric may support digestion and prevent indigestion issues, bloating, and gas formation.
How does turmeric work?
Turmeric contains a biologically active compound called curcumin, known for its strong antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action. Curcumin interacts with the body through different pathways to provide many health benefits.
How to choose the right turmeric and curcumin for you?
While opting for a turmeric or curcumin supplement, it is advisable to consider the following points.
- Turmeric and curcumin supplements are available in various forms like tablets, powders, capsules and teas. Choose a form which is convenient for you to consume.
- Curcumin is the main active ingredient, so check its content and opt for a supplement with a higher curcumin percentage.
- Curcumin is poorly absorbed in the body, and studies suggest that its absorption increases by 2000% when combined with piperine (an active ingredient in black pepper). Therefore, curcumin tablets having a combination of curcumin and piperine are better.
- The supplements should be free from contaminants, fillers and unwanted additives. It should be certified and FSSAI-approved.
- Check the recommended dosage and usage instructions. People allergic to any food should read the allergen warning carefully.
How to use turmeric and curcumin?
- One can use curcumin tablets and capsules as per the usage instructions mentioned on the pack.
- Turmeric tea is another popular way to enjoy the health benefits of curcumin and turmeric.
- One can also apply curcumin and turmeric powder topically on the skin to improve skin quality.
Where to buy turmeric and curcumin?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best curcumin tablets and capsules for men and women. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out Nutrabay for the best turmeric and curcumin capsules to feel great daily and build a perfectly healthy body.
Are turmeric and curcumin safe to use?
Curcumin and turmeric are generally considered safe to use. However, one must consume them in moderation to avoid potential side effects like nausea, diarrhoea and gastrointestinal issues. People on medications must seek medical advice from their doctors before taking curcumin and turmeric tablets to prevent nutrient-drug interactions.
Which is the best curcumin?
Nutrabay Wellness Curcumin is one of the best curcumin supplements. It provides 900 mg of pure curcumin extract (containing 95% curcuminoids) without any additives or preservatives. It also comes with an additional boost of piperine to enhance the absorption in the body. Nutrabay Wellness Curcumin is lab-tested and safe for long-term use.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the benefits of turmeric milk?
Turmeric milk benefits our body by reducing inflammation, improving skin health and sleep quality, and boosting digestion and immunity.
2. What is turmeric scientific name?
The scientific name of turmeric is Curcuma longa.
3. What is a turmeric latte?
Turmeric milk is also known as a turmeric latte or golden milk. It is made by heating milk with fresh turmeric root. Turmeric milk is excellent for our health.
4. Are there any side effects of applying turmeric on face?
Turmeric is considered safe to apply on the face. However, one may experience mild side effects like skin irritation, allergy or itchiness.
5. Are there any turmeric milk side effects?
Turmeric milk is safe to consume, but one must avoid consuming it too much to avoid any abdominal discomfort, indigestion issues or bloating.
6. What is the best time to consume turmeric tablets?
One can consume turmeric or curcumin supplements at any time, preferably with meals. If you are taking it for sleep, try taking it at bedtime.
7. What is the correct dosage of turmeric capsules or tablets?
The dosage may vary depending on why curcumin or turmeric is used. Based on studies, it may vary between 500 mg to 2 grams per day.
8. What is curcumin?
Curcumin is a polyphenol and a bright yellow pigment present in turmeric. It is the main active ingredient responsible for all the health-benefiting properties of turmeric.
9. Curcumin vs turmeric - what is the difference?
Turmeric (haldi) is an Indian spice commonly used in our household in cooking. In contrast, curcumin is a natural compound present in turmeric which gives it a yellow colour and all the health-boosting effects.
10. What are the benefits of drinking turmeric water?
Turmeric water is considered good for digestion and immune health and for reducing inflammation in the body.