What is L-Carnitine?
L-Carnitine is an amino acid naturally synthesized in the liver, kidney, and brain from the two essential amino acids - methionine and lysine. Vitamin C, B6, and niacin are other nutrients required for its synthesis. The prime role of L-carnitine in our body is to transport fatty acids into the mitochondria, which act as an engine in our cells where these fatty acids are burned to derive energy. L-Carnitine-rich foods include red meat, fish, chicken, and milk.
L-Carnitine is a popular dietary supplement among bodybuilders and fitness enthusiasts due to its unique credibility to reduce muscle soreness and boost recovery.
L-Carnitine: Benefits & Uses
Here are some ways by which an L-Carnitine supplement can benefit you.
- Support fat loss: Bodybuilders and athletes prefer taking L-Carnitine for fat loss as it promotes the burning of fat cells and increases calorie expenditure.
- Provide energy: The L-Carnitine supplement helps keep energy levels up before and after the workout by stimulating the oxidation of fat cells to produce energy.
- Boost metabolism: Want to boost metabolism? Combine L-Carnitine with a regular workout schedule. It provides an additional boost to the metabolic rate, burning calories much faster.
- Support recovery: Several studies claim that regular intake of L-Carnitine reduces post-exercise muscle damage, and helps recover better after a strenuous workout session, thereby increasing overall athletic performance.
- Protect brain cells: Acetyl form of L-Carnitine has a neuroprotective effect on the body. It protects our brain cells from getting damaged and prevents age-related cognitive decline and other brain diseases.
- Healthy heart: Supplementation with L-Carnitine has been shown to boost heart health by lowering high blood pressure and reducing inflammation associated with heart diseases.
L-Carnitine supplements are usually available in three forms, each having its unique way of benefiting us.
- Acetyl L-Carnitine: This form, also known as ALCAR, is specifically beneficial for our brain and cognitive health. It has an acetyl group attached to L-Carnitine, which allows it to cross the blood-brain barrier for better absorption. Apart from fat burning, Acetyl L-Carnitine is beneficial in preventing brain disorders.
- L-Carnitine L-Tartrate: It is the most preferred form among sports supplements because of its high absorption rate and potential to soothe muscle soreness and aid recovery.
- Propionyl L-Carnitine: This type is explicitly considered good for heart health because it boosts nitric oxide production and promotes smooth and improved blood flow.
How to choose the right L-Carnitine for you?
- You may find L-Carnitine supplements in multiple forms like tablets, capsules, liquids, and powders. The most critical parameter is purity. The product should contain pure L-Carnitine without added fillers or unwanted additives, no matter what form you choose.
- Now comes the type. Suppose you are a fitness lover, gym-goer, or bodybuilder and want to buy an L-Carnitine supplement. In that case, you can choose L-Carnitine-L-Tartrate, the most affordable and effective form to improve physical strength. Acetyl L-Carnitine is the most expensive form and is advisable for both physical and cognitive support. If the reason to use L-Carnitine concerns heart health, go for Propionyl-L-Carnitine.
- Make sure to check the dosage of L-Carnitine per serving. It should provide at least 1000 mg per serve. However, the dosage will vary depending on the fitness goal.
- If the product has additional vitamins or minerals, there is no harm in opting for the same. For example, a good quality liquid L-Carnitine will always have Vitamin B5 additionally as it plays a crucial role in fat metabolism.
- The product must be free from banned substances, certified and cGMP certified.
How to use L-Carnitine?
One can use L-Carnitine at any time of the day. The best time to take L-Carnitine is before or after meals. However, if you want to optimize your energy levels during exercise, take it before the workout. One can also take L-Carnitine post-workout for faster and better recovery.
- One can swallow L-Carnitine tablets or capsules simply with water or a beverage of choice.
- For Liquid L-Carnitine, it is advisable to refer to the pack for instructions on whether to drink directly or dilute it.
Where to buy L-Carnitine?
Nutrabay is the most trusted online health supplement store to offer the best L-Carnitine in India. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from brands or with their official importers. Nutrabay guarantees a hassle-free buying experience online, with secure online payment options and cash on delivery.
Which is the best L-Carnitine?
If you are looking for an effective and affordable L-Carnitine, choose Nutrabay Pro L-Carnitine capsules. This product is the topmost choice of bodybuilders and athletes due to its efficacy. It comes in vegan-friendly capsules; each serving provides 1000 mg of pure L-Carnitine. Both men and women can use Nutrabay Pro L-Carnitine. It is free from any harmful additives and safe for long-term use.
Is L-Carnitine safe to use?
L-Carnitine is safe to use when taken in moderation. It is advisable not to consume higher doses to avoid L-Carnitine side effects. Some people might experience mild symptoms like nausea, vomiting, and abdominal discomfort on taking L-Carnitine.
The following must consult their doctor before taking L-Carnitine tablets:
- Pregnant and lactating women.
- People on medications for thyroid, heart disease, diabetes, and seizures.
- People with existing liver or kidney disorders.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the correct dosage of L-Carnitine?
The dosage of L-Carnitine varies depending on the health goal and type used. Ideally, it goes between 500-3000 mg per day. There are no current recommendations by ICMR, but studies have shown beneficial effects using the dose mentioned below.
- Acetyl-L-carnitine: Doses may range between 600-2500 mg per day.
- L-carnitine L-tartrate: Doses may vary between 1000-3000 mg per day.
- Propionyl-L-carnitine: Doses may range between 400-3000 mg per day.
If you are unsure, consult an expert to understand your suitable dose.
2. For how long can I take L-Carnitine?
One can take L-Carnitine tablets till the fitness goal is achieved. It is advisable not to consume higher doses to enjoy the health benefits.
3. Can I take L-Carnitine for fat loss?
One can take L-Carnitine for fat loss, but L-Carnitine weight loss results depend on age, physical activity level, diet, and medical history. It is advisable to have a regular exercise schedule if you wish to achieve the desired result.
4. What is better for fat loss: CLA vs. L-Carnitine?
CLA refers to the Conjugated Linoleic Acid, a polyunsaturated omega-6 fatty acid that supports fat loss in the body by inhibiting fat storage and promoting fat burn.
L-Carnitine support fat loss by assisting in the burning of fat cells to derive energy.
Both of them benefit us in their way, and it won't be wise to compare them. However, one can take them together to maximize the weight loss results.