What is Glucosamine?
Glucosamine occurs naturally in the body. This amino sugar is a structural component of cartilage and is necessary to maintain the health of cartilages- the tough tissue that cushions bones at your joints.
The body naturally produces glucosamine, but with ageing, the levels of glucosamine begin to drop. To compensate for the dropping levels and maintain the health of joints, it becomes essential to supplement glucosamine.
Commercially, glucosamine supplements are naturally sourced from shellfish and animal bones.
Glucosamine: Benefits & Uses
Glucosamine dietary supplements can benefit in the following ways.
- Support healthy joints: Glucosamine has a joint-protective effect. It protects joint tissue by preventing cartilage breakdown, thus beneficial specifically for athletes and older adults. Along with the lubricating liquid, cartilage minimizes friction and allows bones to move freely and painlessly across one another.
- Reduce inflammation: Glucosamine supplements are helpful for people with arthritis, osteoporosis and osteoarthritis as it has been shown to suppress inflammation in the body. The anti-inflammatory effect of glucosamine is also associated with a lower risk of conditions triggered by inflammation, like type 2 diabetes.
Usually, you will find glucosamine tablets in these three forms:
- Glucosamine sulfate
- Glucosamine hydrochloride
- N-acetyl glucosamine
These supplements are not interchangeable. Glucosamine and chondroitin sulfate are often sold in combination. Therefore, it is advisable to take medical advice from a healthcare professional before starting the supplement.
How to choose the right glucosamine for you?
Glucosamine supplements are available in the form of tablets or gummies. There are many glucosamine tablets available that one can purchase without a prescription. It is appropriate to seek medical advice before buying the supplement, especially to treat any medical condition like joint pain, osteoarthritis, etc. One must follow the medical advice written on the pack and not exceed the recommended dosage.
Avoid taking it if you are intolerant or allergic to shellfish.
How to use glucosamine?
Most glucosamine supplements are advisable with meals; however, the recommendation may vary from brand to brand.
There are no dietary recommendations for glucosamine as per health authorities. But studies have found 1500-3000 mg of glucosamine dosage per day as effective.
Where to buy glucosamine?
You can visit Nutrabay to avail the best glucosamine tablets in India. Nutrabay provides you with the best prices and deals on all brands, making it one of the most affordable options to purchase your supplements. You can be assured of 100% genuine products and the best oral glucosamine tablets price with Nutrabay, as each one is sourced from the brand directly.
Is glucosamine safe to use?
Glucosamine products are generally safe and well-tolerated. Mild glucosamine side effects include heartburn, vomiting, nausea, diarrhoea and abdominal pain.
One must not take glucosamine supplements without medical advice during the following conditions:
- Pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Heart disease
- People taking blood thinners
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to get glucosamine naturally?
There are no dietary sources of glucosamine. It is naturally present in bones, bone marrow, shellfish and fungi.
2. Can I take glucosamine for joint pain?
Glucosamine has been shown effective in providing relief from joint pain. However, it is better to take it after a doctor's consultation.
3. Can glucosamine be taken by vegetarians?
One may find vegetarian glucosamine supplements in the market. Always read the ingredient list and warnings carefully before buying it.