No products were found matching your selection.
What is Alpha-Lipoic Acid (ALA)?
Alpha-lipoic acid is an antioxidant. This organic compound is naturally present inside our cells to assist enzymes during energy metabolism. The primary role of alpha-lipoic acid is to help derive energy from blood glucose during aerobic metabolism using oxygen.
Alpha-lipoic acid is both fat and water-soluble, making it unique as it can efficiently exert its antioxidant action in every cell.
Alpha-lipoic acid is popularly used as a dietary supplement because its antioxidant properties have been linked to various health benefits, including lower blood glucose levels, slowed skin ageing, reduced inflammation and improved nerve function.
However, one can also obtain it from alpha-lipoic acid foods like potatoes, organ meats, green peas, broccoli, spinach, yeast, tomatoes, Brussels sprouts and rice bran.
Alpha-lipoic acid: Benefits & Uses
Alpha-lipoic acid (ALA) has numerous health valuable properties.
- Alpha-lipoic acid for Weight Loss: One of the popular reasons for taking alpha-lipoic acid supplementation. Studies support that ALA may increase calorie-burning and suppress appetite, encouraging weight loss.
- Alpha-lipoic acid for Diabetes: Researchers have been studying ALA as a potential aid for diabetes. Data suggest that it may help manage blood sugar levels by reducing insulin resistance and lowering HbA1c levels.
- Alpha-lipoic acid for Ageing: ALA help reduce signs of ageing by protecting skins against oxidative stress, free radicals and boosting the level of other antioxidants like glutathione.
- Alpha-lipoic acid for Brain: The antioxidant action of alpha-lipoic acid also accounts for this benefit. ALA acts as a shield against our brain cells, protects us from oxidative stress and nerve damage. It also suppresses inflammation and reduces the progression of age-related neurological disorders.
- Alpha-lipoic acid for Heart: Alpha-lipoic acid benefits our heart by protecting heart cells from inflammation, improving endothelial dysfunction and reducing the risk of stroke.
How to choose the right alpha-lipoic acid for you?
While considering an ALA supplement, it is essential to check the ingredient list. It should contain alpha-lipoic acid as a primary ingredient without any harmful fillers. The product should be tested, ensuring its quality and ingredient purity. Do not opt for very high doses to avoid the risk of toxicity.
How to use alpha-lipoic acid?
One should preferably take alpha-lipoic acid tablets or capsules on an empty stomach as some foods have been shown to interfere with ALA.
Intake of 100-600 mg of ALA has been linked with no side effects. However, one should not exceed the dosage as mentioned on the pack.
People with type 2 diabetes or other medical conditions must consult a doctor before using an ALA supplement.
Where to buy alpha-lipoic acid?
You can visit Nutrabay to avail the best alpha-lipoic acid capsules or tablets in India. Nutrabay provides you with the best prices and deals on all brands, making it one of the most affordable options to purchase your supplements. You can be assured of 100% genuine products and the best alpha-lipoic acid supplement price with Nutrabay, as each one is sourced from the brand directly.
Is alpha-lipoic acid safe to use?
Alpha-lipoic acid is generally deemed safe when taken in optimal doses. In some cases, people may experience mild alpha-lipoic acid side effects like headache, nausea, muscle cramps, skin rashes or itching. One must avoid large doses of ALA to prevent toxicity symptoms like seizures and altered liver enzymes.
Before alpha-lipoic acid supplementation, people taking diabetes or thyroid medications must seek medical advice.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the ideal alpha-lipoic acid dosage?
There is no specific RDA for alpha-lipoic acid as per the health authorities. Studies have shown that 100-600 mg of ALA is usually considered beneficial.
Studies say that 300 mg of ALA per day has been shown to improve the symptoms of diabetes and 600 mg for the neuropathic symptoms. However, one should always confer with a doctor before taking an alpha-lipoic acid supplement.
2. Does alpha-lipoic acid make you lose weight?
Studies support that ALA supplementation promotes the reduction of body weight and fat mass by reducing food intake and enhancing energy expenditure. However, it is necessary to perform regular exercise and consume a well-balanced diet to see the desirable results.