What is Flaxseed Oil?
Flaxseed (Linum usitatissimum) is one of the abundant sources of plant-based omega-3 fatty acid: alpha-linolenic acid (ALA). Flaxseeds are known for many health benefits, including providing a healthy dose of protein and dietary fibre, reducing appetite and helping in weight control.
Flaxseed oil, also known as linseed oil, is made from flaxseeds that are ground and pressed to release their natural oil. There is a slight difference in using the terms flaxseed and linseed. Flaxseed is used to describe flax when consumed as food by humans, while linseed is used to describe flax when it is used in the industry and feed purpose.
Flaxseed oil is low in saturated fats (9%), moderate in monosaturated fatty acids (18%), and rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids (73%). If you do not prefer taking fish oil, you can include flaxseed oil in your diet to meet your omega-3 fatty acid needs.
Flaxseed Oil: Benefits & Uses
These are some health benefits of flaxseed oil:
- Rich in Omega-3 fats: Flaxseed oil is packed with omega-3 fatty acids in ALA form. When consumed, the ALA form gets converted to active forms like EPA and DHA in our body. It is an excellent omega-3 source specifically for vegetarians and vegans.
- Boost heart health: Flaxseed oil has been shown to promote heart health by exerting its cholesterol-lowering effects. It prevents harmful LDL cholesterol levels from rising, reducing high blood pressure and cardiovascular disease risk.
- Reduce inflammation: Flaxseed oil has potent anti-inflammatory properties and is suitable to prevent and alleviate joint pain, stiffness and muscle soreness.
- Enhance skin health: Flaxseed oil improves skin health by maintaining skin hydration and smoothness and reducing dullness and roughness.
- May reduce cancer risk: Dietary supplementation of flaxseed oil may also reduce the risk of prostate cancer. Research studies also suggest flaxseed inhibit the formation of colon, breast, skin, and lung tumours.
How to choose the right flaxseed oil for you?
While opting for flaxseed oil capsules, one must make sure that it is made from freshly cold-pressed flaxseeds. The product should only have flaxseed oil as the active ingredient without harmful additives. One must purchase the capsules from reputable companies that certify that their supplements are free from heavy metals, such as mercury and lead, non-GMO and free from allergens.
If you are a vegan or vegetarian, opt for flaxseed oil capsules that are not gelatin-based. People with heart or other medical conditions must seek medical advice before choosing flaxseed oil.
How to use flaxseed oil?
If you prefer flaxseed oil capsules, you can take them with water at any time. But if you prefer flaxseed oil in liquid form, it can be added to salads, shakes, smoothies, dips and sauces.
One should never use flaxseed oil for cooking as flaxseed oil is sensitive to heat and light. Therefore, it is better to store it in a cool, dry and dark place.
Where to buy flaxseed oil?
You can visit Nutrabay to avail best flaxseed oil in India. Nutrabay provides you with the best prices and deals on all brands, making it one of the most affordable options to purchase your supplements. You can be assured of 100% genuine products and the best flaxseed oil capsule price with Nutrabay, as each one is sourced from the brand directly.
Is flaxseed oil safe to use?
Flaxseed oil is generally safe to consume. One must consume it in recommended dosage to enjoy the health benefits. Side effects of flaxseeds when consumed in large doses are:
People on medications must use flaxseed oil after taking medical advice as some medicines may interact with flaxseed oil.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the nutritional value of flaxseeds?
Flaxseed nutrition as per ICMR per 100 g:
- Energy 444 kcal
- Protein 18.55 g
- Fat 35.67 g
- Dietary Fibre 26.17 g
- Carbs 10.99 g
- Biotin 21.25 mcg
- Folate 86.5 mcg
2. How much flaxseed per day can I take?
1-2 tablespoons of flaxseeds per day are sufficient to reap the health benefits.
3. How to use flaxseed for weight loss?
One can chew roasted flaxseeds as it is or sprinkle them on salads, smoothies, soups and shakes. Flaxseed oil capsules can simply be swallowed with water or beverage of choice.