What is zinc?
Zinc is one of the essential minerals required for numerous processes in our body. It is involved in many aspects of cell metabolism, required for the catalytic activity of hundreds of enzymes to enhance immune function, protein and DNA synthesis, wound healing, and cell signalling and division. Zinc is also vital for healthy growth and development during pregnancy, childhood, and adolescence.
Due to its critical role in the human body, zinc supplements are popular to prevent its deficiency. However, the requirement can also be met through dietary sources. Meat, chicken, seafood, legumes, eggs, whole grains, dairy products, nuts, and seeds are a few zinc rich foods.
Zinc: Benefits & Uses
Here are a few health benefits and uses of zinc.
- Support immune health: Zinc has been shown to play a vital role in boosting immune health by stimulating white blood cells and reducing oxidative stress. It is due to this reason doctors recommend zinc lozenges during a cough or bad throat.
- Aid wound healing: Low levels of zinc in the body can delay wound healing as it helps regulate the inflammatory response, which is essential for healing.
- Anti-inflammatory: Zinc has been shown to reduce the levels of inflammatory markers.
- Support skin health: Zinc promotes healthy skin by preventing acne by regulating oil production, reducing inflammation, and facilitating collagen production.
- Better fertility: Zinc supports sound reproductive health by encouraging healthy sperm production, fertility, and pregnancy.
- Boost brain health: Zinc is vital for the smooth functioning of our nervous system. It aids cognitive health by supporting learning, memory, and attention.
- Healthy blood glucose levels: Zinc helps prevent sudden spikes in blood sugar levels by improving insulin sensitivity.
Zinc supplements are readily available in various forms and compositions. Let's review some common types of zinc.
- Zinc picolinate: It is zinc salt of picolinic acid and is commonly used in dietary supplement form to support immune and skin health.
- Zinc oxide: This form is usually present in topical supplements used to treat skin rash, sunburn, and minor cuts.
- Zinc citrate: It is used in health supplements to treat zinc deficiency due to its high absorption rate.
- Zinc sulfate: This form contains zinc with sulphur. Zinc sulfate can help support immune health and wound healing when taken as a supplement.
- Zinc acetate: It is a zinc salt of acetic acid. Its common application is during the treatment of liver disease. However, it can be used to treat zinc deficiency diseases.
- Zinc carbonate: This form is known for its astringent and antiseptic properties hence used topically to soothe inflamed skin.
- Zinc chloride: It is commonly used as a disinfectant or condensing agent. This form is not recommended for oral consumption.
How to choose the right zinc for you?
Zinc tablets are widely available in various forms and types. Here are a few tips that may help you choose a suitable zinc supplement.
- Choose the type of zinc supplement with a better absorption rate. Zinc supplements come in various types; however, zinc picolinate is considered a better form due to its high bioavailability. However, one supplement may not fit everyone's needs; therefore, it is better to consult a doctor.
- Zinc supplements are available in tablets, powders, syrups, gummies, or capsule forms. One can choose as per the ease of intake.
- Check the recommended dosage. It should not be more than 100% of the daily requirement.
- The supplement should be free from harmful additives. Always buy a certified supplement from a reliable source like Nutrabay.
- People on medications or with medical conditions should never consume zinc tablets without consulting their doctor.
Where to buy zinc?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best zinc supplement for men and women. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out Nutrabay for the best zinc price to feel great every day and build a perfectly healthy body.
Is zinc safe to use?
Zinc is usually considered safe to use when consumed within dietary needs. One must avoid taking zinc tablets in excess, as it might lead to toxicity. Zinc supplements may interfere with certain medications; hence, seeking medical advice before starting the supplement is advisable.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What are the symptoms of zinc deficiency?
Here are a few zinc deficiency symptoms -
- Hair fall
- Brittle nails
- Frequent infections
- Loss of appetite
- Weight loss
- Delayed would healing
- Lack of smell and taste
2. How to prevent zinc deficiency?
It is advisable to consume foods that contain zinc, like nuts, seeds, dairy foods, whole grains, eggs, etc. However, in case of severe deficiency, one can consider zinc supplements.
3. Are there any zinc rich fruits?
Zinc is present in fruits like berries, pomegranate, avocado, guava, peach, and cantaloupe.
4. What is our zinc daily requirement?
ICMR recommends an intake of 17 mg of zinc for men and 13.2 mg for women. The requirement varies between 14.1-14.5 mg per day during pregnancy and lactation.
5. List some zinc rich vegetables.
- Green peas
- Beet greens
- Lady finger