What is Plant Protein?
Plant proteins are derived from plant-based protein sources like pea, brown rice, legumes, hemp, soy, flaxseeds and chia seeds.
They are a healthy and ideal protein alternative to dairy-based protein powders like whey and casein.
Plant-based protein powders are popular among athletes and bodybuilders, but sedentary people and older adults have started using them for general well-being.
Plant Protein: Benefits & Uses
Plant proteins can play a vital role in muscle growth and recovery along with numerous other health benefits.
- Promote muscle growth: Plant proteins contain all essential amino acids required for muscle protein synthesis and post-workout muscle recovery. If you are an active athlete and do not prefer whey, include plant protein as your post-workout protein.
- Boost metabolism: Plant protein powders help boost our metabolism and speeds up the calorie-burning rate. Phytonutrients present in plant-based protein powders support fat burning and lean muscle building.
- Support weight loss: Plant proteins are high in proteins but low in carbs and fats. They also contain dietary fibre and other essential nutrients that aid weight loss by providing fullness and preventing hunger cravings.
- Lactose-free: Plant-based protein powders are the right choice for those who are intolerant or allergic to lactose.
- Boost immunity: Along with proteins, plant protein powders provide various vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They promote the healthy functioning of our immune system and different other processes taking place inside the body.
- Easy to digest: Plant-based proteins are light on our stomach and get digested rapidly in our body. People who experience frequent indigestion issues can opt for plant proteins with added digestive enzymes.
Plant Protein Types
One can find various types of plant-based protein powders in the market. They may contain a single plant protein source or blend of multiple sources. Let's see the benefits of popular plant-based protein powders.
- Pea Protein: Pea protein is extracted from yellow peas. It contains high-quality protein, rich in BCAAs and other nutrients like iron. Pea protein is effective for muscle building like any other dairy-based protein powder. It is suitable for heart health, provide fullness and promote weight loss.
- Soy Protein: Soy protein is extracted from soybean. It has all nine essential amino acids, no cholesterol and is low in saturated fats. Soy proteins are also packed with dietary fibre, iron, calcium, zinc and B vitamins.
- Quinoa Protein: Quinoa is naturally gluten-free and a complete protein source containing all nine essential amino acids. It is rich in dietary fibre, iron, potassium, folate, magnesium, calcium, phosphorus and vitamin E. Quinoa protein powders contain two powerful antioxidants - quercetin and kaempferol, having numerous health benefits.
- Brown Rice Protein: Brown rice protein contains amino acids that strengthen our blood vessels and improve kidney and liver function. It is incredibly high in cysteine amino acid, that boost lung health and overall athletic performance.
- Hemp Protein: Another plant protein source having all nine essential amino acids. Hemp contains good essential fats that provide a large amount of energy when metabolized. Therefore, hemp protein is good for our digestive and immune health. It fights inflammation and is excellent for restoring muscle tissue after an intense workout session.
How to choose the right plant protein for you?
Here are some of the key points to consider while buying a plant protein powder.
- Check the sources of protein in the ingredient list.
- Plant protein should have all nine essential amino acids because our body can not produce them.
- It should not have too high carbohydrate and fat content. You do not want to load the calories unnecessary.
- The plant-based protein must be free from added sugar, harmful or banned substances.
- It is better to opt for an all plant protein powder with added digestive enzymes. Better nutrient absorption means better exercise performance.
How to use Plant Protein?
It is easy to include plant-based protein powders in your diet.
If you are a bodybuilder or fitness enthusiast, you can take it post-workout to boost muscle recovery. Else you can use plant proteins in healthy recipes like shakes, smoothies, ice creams, cookies, protein balls, pancakes and protein bars.
Where to buy Plant Protein?
Looking for a plant protein, all-plant protein powder or organic plant protein powder, you will find them all on Nutrabay. You can select from a wide range of the best plant protein powders in India. Buy the best quality health supplements at Nutrabay, both in terms of quality and price.
Which is the best Plant Protein?
If you are looking for a premium-quality plant protein powder, try these.
- Nutrabay Wellness Vegan Plant Protein is the best plant protein powder enriched with multiple protein sources like pea, brown rice, and spirulina. It has superfoods like flaxseeds, moringa along with vitamins and minerals. You will get 24 g high-quality protein per scoop along with digestive enzymes for enhanced nutrient absorption.
- Nutrabay Wellness All-Natural Plant Protein contains natural ingredients without artificial sweetener, colour, flavour, or other additives. The nutrition profile is similar to Nutrabay Wellness Vegan Plant Protein, except it is sweetened with a plant-based sweetener - Stevia.
- Nutrabay Pure 100% Pea Protein Isolate is another vegan protein that you can opt to fulfil daily protein needs. It provides 25.3 grams of pure pea protein per scoop to the body for repairing damage and building new muscles. It has all essential amino acids and does not contain any artificial flavour, colour or additive. The product does not have any side effects and is safe for long term use.
- Nutrabay Pure 100% Soy Protein Isolate is the best plant-based protein powder in India. It is ideal for athletes and bodybuilders looking for an effective alternative to whey proteins. This vegan protein is unflavoured, provides 26.2 grams of proteins per scoop and is safe for both men and women.
Is Plant Protein safe to use?
Absolutely! Plant-based proteins are equally effective and healthy, like dairy proteins. They are easy to digest and comes with an additional benefit plant-based compounds and antioxidants that are naturally present in plant protein sources.
Anyone can use plant proteins, including women and older people. They are safe for pregnant and lactating women, but it is advisable to consult their doctor first before starting the product.
People with existing medical conditions like liver and kidney disease should seek medical advice first because of protein restrictions in their diet.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Are all plant protein powders are vegan-friendly?
Not all plant-based protein powders are vegan-friendly. For example, if honey has been added for sweetness, then it is not vegan-friendly. If you prefer vegan plant protein powders, it is advisable to read the ingredient information and disclaimers carefully.
2. Which is better: plant protein vs whey protein?
Both are equally effective and healthy for us. Plant proteins are ideal for lactose intolerants or people with frequent indigestion issues. Whey proteins naturally contain all nine essential amino acids. While opting for a plant protein powder, one should choose the one containing all essential amino acids.
3. Who can take an all plant protein?
Plant-based protein powders are meant for everyone.
- Sedentary people to fulfil daily protein needs.
- Professional Bodybuilders.
- Endurance athletes.
- Fitness enthusiasts and gym-goers.
- Pregnant and lactating women.