The Benefit of Vitamin Supplements
Vitamins are organic compounds required in small quantities in the body for maintaining normal physiological functioning, which is crucial for the body to grow and develop. Vitamins support growth and reproduction and are naturally found in small amounts in food. The body relies greatly on a diet to fulfilling its daily vitamin requirements. However, in the absence of a sufficient supply of vitamins from the diet, a deficiency of the vitamins occurs in the body.
Types of Vitamins
There are 13 vitamins in total. However, there are only two broad categories namely: Fat-soluble (A, D, E, K) and Water-soluble (C, B). The key difference between the two is that fat-soluble vitamins require fat/oil for their absorption in the body and are stored for longer in the body, while water-soluble vitamins do not require fat for their absorption and are excreted from the body regularly. The best way to get enough vitamins is through the consumption of a balanced diet. If deficiency persists, it is recommended to take vitamin supplements.
Key benefits of Vitamins
Both categories of vitamins i.e., water and fat-soluble, have a distinct role to play in the body, some of the key health benefits of which are:
- Vitamin B1 or Thiamine helps in the release of energy from carbohydrates and helps to transmit nerve impulses. Commonly found in whole grains, nuts, fruits, and pork. A deficiency of Vitamin B1 affects the nervous system resulting in difficulty in walking.
- Vitamin B2 or Riboflavin promotes healthy growth and tissue repair and helps release energy from carbohydrates/ macro-nutrients. Its common sources include – milk, dairy, dark leafy vegetables, meat, poultry, legumes, and mushrooms. Vit B2 deficiency results in inflammation of the mouth, nose, and tongue and dry scaling lips.
- Vitamin B3 or Niacin extracts energy from macro-nutrients, which are important for the normal structure and functioning of the skin, body linings, and nervous system. Meat, poultry, fish, legumes, and eggs are good sources of niacin. Deficiency of vitamin b3 results in pellagra (diarrhea, dermatitis, dementia, and death).
- Vitamin B5 or Pantothenic acid acts as a co-enzyme and helps release energy from macro-nutrients. It is found in both plant and animal food sources. Insomnia, headache, and nausea can be seen if a deficiency of vitamin b5 exists.
- Vitamin B6 or Pyridoxine helps in macro-nutrient metabolism. It converts tryptophan to niacin and helps in red blood cells and antibody formation. Commonly found in beans, legumes, nuts, eggs, meat, fish, and cereals. Its deficiency results in anemia and decreased antibody production.
- Vitamin B7 or Biotin acts as a coenzyme in carbohydrate and fat metabolism. Found in both animal and plant food sources, its deficiency results in dermatitis, tongue soreness, and hair loss.
- Vitamin B9, Folic acid, or Folate is necessary for RBC’s development, DNA formation, and neural tube formation in the fetus. Found in green leafy vegetables, liver, legumes, milk, nuts, cereals, and dairy products. Folic acid deficiency results in anemia, spina bifida, and neural tube defects.
- Vitamin B12 or Cobalamin is essential in folic acid metabolism, the formation of new cells, and RBCs. Exclusively found in animal food sources like eggs, meat, poultry, fish, milk, and dairy. Its deficiency causes anaemia, fatigue, loss of appetite, dementia, and loss of bowel and bladder control.
- Vitamin C, also called ascorbic acid, helps form collagen, aids in iron absorption, builds new tissues to heal wounds, and increases wound resistance. It is abundant in citrus fruits, guava, strawberries, gooseberries, capsicum, tomatoes, potatoes, and raw cabbage. Vit C deficiency results in scurvy, anaemia, and weakness.
- Vitamin A or Retinol (precursor: - Beta carotene) promotes normal vision, growth, and resistance to infection and maintains healthy skin. It is found in dark green leafy vegetables and yellow and orange colored vegetables. Its deficiency results in xeropthalmia and night blindness. If taken in excess amounts results in toxicity called hypervitaminosis A. excess intake in pregnancy might cause birth defects.
- Vitamin D or Cholecalciferol promotes the absorption of calcium and phosphorus, maintains healthy, strong bones and teeth, and optimal calcification of bones. It had to be absorbed by sunlight. It can be stored in the body. A deficiency of vitamin d leads to rickets, osteomalacia, and excess Vit D, resulting in excess calcium levels in the blood.
- Vitamin E (Tocopherols) acts as an antioxidant that neutralizes the damage of free radicals and blocks carcinogens. It prevents the breakdown of Vitamin A and unsaturated fatty acids. It is known to be beneficial for skin and hair. Vegetable oils, whole grains, nuts, seeds, wheat germ, and dairy products are rich in vitamin E. Its deficiency leads to hemolysis of RBCs and nerve destruction.
- Vitamin K (Phylloquinone) is known for blood clotting. It helps in the production of prothrombin and some clotting factors. Found in dark green leafy vegetables, tomatoes, soybeans, liver, and milk, its deficiency causes haemorrhage and prolonged blood clotting.
Are Vitamins Safe?
It is safe to consume vitamin supplements provided that your diet lacks a sufficient supply of vitamins or you require an extra dose of vitamins to heal a medical condition/ injury. It is strictly advised to never self-supplement and to get the dosage customized from a nutritionist/healthcare provider to avoid any possibility of vitamin toxicity, which is very rare.
Why buy from Nutrabay?
Nutrabay is the most trusted venture focusing on wellness and fitness supplements. When making a purchase from Nutrabay, you need not worry about authenticity, and timely delivery as Nutrabay takes all pains to provide its customer’s first-hand buying experience by emphasizing on timely delivery and authenticity.
Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as we source products either directly from brands or with their official importers. You get all products delivered directly, without any middlemen or 3rd party sellers. Additionally, Nutrabay.com is certified by all the brands or their official Indian supplement importers for authentic supplements. This ensures that the customers always get an authentic supplement as the entire supply chain is controlled by Nutrabay.com itself.
Apart from these, Nutrabay offers secure online payment options and cash on delivery for all its customers. Check out wellness supplements to stay active and feel great every day.