What are Multivitamins?
Multivitamins primarily contain vitamins and minerals and may comprise unique ingredients like herb extracts, plant extracts, omega-3 fats, and probiotics. Single vitamin and mineral supplements are beneficial to manage deficiency of a particular nutrient like Vitamin D, B12, Iron, etc.
With changes in eating patterns, lifestyles, and increased stress levels, dietary inadequacy has become a common concern. The body cannot produce vitamins and minerals; hence, it must supply them externally through diet or supplements. Multivitamins play a considerable role as it might be challenging to meet everyday nutrient needs only through natural food sources like fruits and vegetables.
Multivitamins act as a bridge to fill the dietary gap between our intake and daily recommended allowance. Irrespective of age, gender, and physical activity level, including a daily multivitamin in the diet is a great approach to staying super active and maintaining the right balance of all the necessary nutrients.
Multivitamins: Benefits & Uses
A multivitamin dietary supplement is an excellent choice for maintaining overall vitality and well-being, preventing nutritional deficiencies, strengthening immunity, improving energy levels, and making us feel better. Here are some key benefits of taking Multivitamins.
1. Boost Energy Levels: Vitamins like B1, B2, and B3 play an important role in energy metabolism. A lack of vitamins and minerals might severely affect energy levels and make daily activities challenging. Taking a multivitamin tablet daily keeps us energetic with no fatigue or dizziness.
2. Improve Athletic Performance: Multivitamin supplements are a boon for people with an active lifestyle. Intense and vigorous activities result in the loss of electrolytes, minerals, and vitamins. It can reduce muscular performance, aerobic capacity, and muscle cramps if not replenished. Multivitamins can support an actively involved person to a great extent in achieving the desired fitness goal.
3. Strengthen Bones and Muscles: Nutrients present in most multivitamin supplements like Vitamin D, K, calcium, potassium, magnesium, and phosphorus are vital for strong bone density and muscles. Lack of any might lead to weak bones and make us prone to frequent stress, fall fractures, and osteoporosis.
4. Increase Immunity: Minerals in a multivitamin like zinc and selenium and vitamins like A, C, and E support our immune system by acting as powerful antioxidants. They fight free radicals and protect the body from common diseases.
5. Healthy Heart: For healthy cardiovascular functioning, it is crucial to have an ideal balance of nutrients like vitamin B6, K, niacin, and magnesium. Multivitamins help reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease by suppressing inflammation, preventing oxidative damage of low-density lipoproteins (LDL), and improving endothelial function.
6. Suppress stress and anxiety: Stress is an inevitable part of our life. Not only a hectic lifestyle but a lack of vitamins and minerals might also result in elevated stress levels. A multivitamin capsule daily is beneficial for the proper functioning of our nervous system to relieve stress and calm brain nerves.
7. Good for Eye Health: Vitamins A, C, E, lutein, and zeaxanthin are some of the critical nutrients present in multivitamins required to maintain healthy vision and protect our eyes from age-related macular degeneration.
8. Healthy Hair, Skin, and Nails: Hair fall due to biotin deficiency is a prevalent health issue. Multivitamins are rich in nutrients like biotin, vitamin C, selenium, and vitamin D. They act together to nourish skin, hair, and nails.
9. Prevent Cognitive Decline: Lack of vitamin B6, B12, folic acid, and zinc is associated with an increased risk of cognitive decline, mood disorders, and dementia. Multivitamins are helpful in ensuring smooth cognitive functioning.
10. Convenient and Cost-Effective: Multivitamins are convenient to use. They are pocket-friendly too and can address the health needs of anyone without putting extra monetary burden.
Types of Vitamins and Minerals
1. Vitamins: They are essential organic compounds and are requisite for various metabolic processes of the body. Vitamins are of two types: water-soluble and fat-soluble vitamins.
a. Water-Soluble Vitamins: B complex vitamins like B1, B2, B3, B4, B5, B6, niacin, folic acid, and B12 fall under this category as they require water for their absorption in the body.
b. Fat-Soluble Vitamins: Vitamins A, D, E, and K are fat-soluble as they require fat as a medium for their absorption. One should never consume fat-soluble vitamins in excess, which otherwise might result in toxicity or hypervitaminosis.
2. Minerals: They are naturally occurring inorganic compounds required to maintain an ideal electrolytic balance of the body and proper organ function. Examples are calcium, zinc, sodium, magnesium, copper, iron, etc.
How to choose the right multivitamin for you?
Multivitamins are available in various forms like tablets, capsules, gummies, liquids, or powders. The composition varies because requirements differ based on age, gender, and physiological conditions like pregnancy, lactation, etc.
A good-quality multivitamin will always have a complete combination of vitamins and minerals. It is essential to determine whether a person wants to choose a multivitamin for general well-being or treat any deficiency, as it helps decide the dosage. Every multivitamin formulation considers the nutrition need. Women have higher calcium and iron needs than men as they are more prone to osteoporosis and anaemia. Multivitamins designed for kids primarily target their developmental needs. One should never select a multivitamin containing higher doses of nutrients added more than 100% RDA as it might result in toxicity. A multivitamin supplement should be certified and designed per the health authority's regulations.
However, it is better to consult an expert or a doctor to understand the nutritional needs and supplement selection.
How to use Multivitamins for best results?
The dosage and timing of each multivitamin might vary from brand to brand. Usually, they can be consumed at any time during the day, preferably with breakfast. But it is always better to refer to the instructions mentioned on the pack. For example, vitamin D supplements are better absorbed when consumed with milk, and one should never take iron tablets with any caffeine-containing meal.
They can be swallowed with water or chewed if they are chewable gummies or tablets. Liquid multivitamins are specifically convenient for kids or the elderly, who may find tablets or capsules challenging to swallow.
Where to buy Multivitamins?
Nutrabay is the most trusted and reliable website for certified and authentic supplements procured directly from the brand or official importers. For a hassle-free online experience with secure payment options, visit Nutrabay.com and explore the best multivitamin tablets in India to stay healthy and feel great every day.
Which is the best multivitamin?
Need a multivitamin that is effective, safe, and fits in the budget too? Choose Nutrabay Pro Multivitamin for men. Nutrabay Pro Multivitamin is the best multivitamin for men, a must for fitness lovers and athletes, as it provides the necessary energy, immunity-boosting vitamins, and minerals at 100% RDA. It contains a potent blend of 25 essential vitamins and minerals needed to maintain overall vitality. The product is certified and can be taken by vegans and gluten-intolerant people as well.
Are Multivitamins safe to consume?
Multivitamins are safe to consume with no long-term side effects. They may cause some allergic reactions like itching or skin rash; in case the consumer is allergic to any of the ingredients present. Also, it is essential to be cautious regarding dosage, as anything in excess might harm the body.
Opt for a certified and trusted brand like Nutrabay to enjoy the health benefits without worrying about any harmful effects.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who can take Multivitamins?
Anyone can take multivitamin tablets, including children, the elderly, pregnant, and lactating women. If planning to purchase for a specific age group or health condition, it is good to opt for tailored ones formulated explicitly as per the need, like a multivitamin for men and women.
2. Are natural food sources like fruits and vegetables insufficient to get a daily dose?
Even after consuming a healthy diet, certain risk factors may increase the likelihood of nutritional deficiency.
For example, older people are at greater risk of deficiency due to reduced metabolism, difficulty chewing and swallowing food, and medical conditions like celiac disease, ulcerative colitis, diarrhoea, IBS, or vomiting. All these conditions reduce the bioavailability and absorption of nutrients.
Similarly, certain medications like diuretics also interfere with or reduce calcium, potassium, and magnesium absorption. Under such conditions, a multivitamin tablet might act as a blessing for the person.
Nutritional needs of iron, calcium, folic acid, and vitamin B12 increases during pregnancy and lactation, so gynaecologists prescribe additional supplements to women during these phases.
As suggested by scientific research studies, vitamins and mineral supplements may play an ergogenic role in enhancing overall athletic performance among athletes.
3. Can a Multivitamin supplement be consumed daily?
The dosage of any multivitamin supplement might vary from brand to brand, depending upon the composition. Always refer to the recommended dosage mentioned on the nutrition label.
4. Are Multivitamins vegan-friendly?
Multivitamins might contain animal-derived nutrients like Omega 3. Some multivitamins have gelatin-based capsules. Always check for information mentioned on the pack for a vegan supplement. For example, Nutrabay has a vegan multivitamin supplement.
5. Can Multivitamins be consumed by lactose and gluten intolerants?
Multivitamins are usually lactose and gluten-free, but it is always better to carefully read the allergen info before opting for any supplement.
6. At what time should I consume a Multivitamin?
The best time to take multivitamins is at any time of the day. Single vitamin and mineral supplements might vary in timing, for example, empty stomach or with a meal. But it is better to follow the instructions mentioned. People already on medications must seek advice from the doctor to understand the best time to avoid nutrient-drug interactions.
7. What should I do in case I miss any dose?
If any dosage is missed, then consume the next dose per recommendation. It is not advisable to double the quantity at a time.
8. What happens in case of overdose?
One should avoid an overdose of any nutrient. It is unhealthy and might result in grave consequences like nausea, vomiting, diarrhoea, bone pain, abdominal discomfort, anorexia, muscle twitching, and many more.