What is Vitamin C?
Vitamins and minerals are necessarily required to ensure the smooth functioning of body processes. Vitamin C or ascorbic acid is one of the essential micronutrients needed to perform several crucial functions. Our body can not store it; hence it is necessary to maintain an adequate vitamin C intake.
Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin and plays a considerable role in keeping our immune system, muscles, skin, tendons and ligaments healthy. Some vitamin C foods are amla, guava, capsicum, broccoli, brussels sprouts and kiwi. Citrus fruits like orange, mosambi and lemon also have high vitamin C content.
Vitamin C: Benefits & Uses
One can take dietary sources or vitamin C supplements to enjoy the following health benefits.
1. Boost immunity: Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant, which means it strengthens our immune system naturally. Vitamin C fights free radicals, oxidative stress and increases our ability to fight common diseases.
2. Reduce injury risk: If you are an active athlete or bodybuilder, you would want to have solid tendons and ligaments. Vitamin C plays a part in the synthesis of connective tissue. During vitamin C deficiency, the chances of getting injured frequently increase.
3. Healthy hair and skin: Vitamin C is needed to synthesise collagen that strengthens our hair, keeps skin moist and hydrated, and reduces premature ageing and skin wrinkling.
4. Maintain blood pressure: In some studies, vitamin C has been found to lower blood pressure by relaxing blood vessels and reduce heart disease risk.
5. Manage cholesterol levels: If you want to have a healthy heart, have vitamin C. It prevents LDL or "bad" cholesterol levels from rising and reduces other risks that may block the blood flow and cause stroke.
6. Healthy brain: Due to its potent antioxidant action, vitamin C protects our brain cells from getting damaged and prevent the chance of degenerative disorders like Alzheimer and Parkinson's disease.
7. Enhance iron absorption: Want to maintain healthy iron levels? Prefer consuming iron-rich foods and vitamin C-rich foods or supplements together for increased and better iron absorption.
The vitamin C benefits list doesn't end here. Numerous studies suggest that vitamin C may also be beneficial in flushing out excess uric acid levels, wound healing, lowering gout risk, cancer risk, and guarding against eye diseases.
How to choose the right Vitamin C for you?
Vitamin C supplements are pretty popular. Not only gym-goers and bodybuilders but people also take it for general well-being.
Vitamin C supplements are commonly available in capsules, tablets, chewable tablets, or gummies form. It is essential to check the form of vitamin C and its amount per serving before you opt for a supplement.
Vitamin C chewable tablets and gummies are suitable for those who have difficulty swallowing.
The product should be certified and free from harmful additives.
How to use Vitamin C?
Intake of vitamin C depends on the form that you prefer.
- If you have Vitamin C chewable tablets or gummies, then simply chew them.
- One can swallow Vitamin C tablets or capsules with water or juice.
Where to buy Vitamin C?
You can visit Nutrabay to avail best vitamin C tablets in India. Nutrabay provides you with the best prices and deals on all brands, making it one of the most affordable options to purchase your supplements. You can be assured of 100% genuine products and the best vitamin C capsule price with Nutrabay, as each one is sourced from the brand directly.
Is Vitamin C safe to use?
Vitamin C tablets are safe to use by anyone, provided you are not taking them in excess. Overuse can lead to side effects like vomiting, heartburn, nausea and diarrhoea. To enjoy the health benefits, always consume vitamin C capsules in the prescribed dosage.
Never forget this golden rule to consult your doctor if you have a vitamin C allergy or any medical condition.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Who can consume Vitamin C tablets?
Vitamins C capsules or tablets can be taken by:
- Adult Men and Women
- Athletes, Bodybuilders and Fitness Enthusiasts
- Elder People
The dosage and requirement might vary from person to person.
2. What happens if I miss a dose?
You can consume Vitamin C tablets as soon as you remember; make sure not to double to dosage at a time.
3. Do I need to take any precautions with Vitamin C?
- One should never take Vitamin C tablets in excess.
- It is advisable to avoid smoking as it interferes with the absorption of Vitamin C.
4. What are the signs of Vitamin C deficiency?
Here are some common Vitamin C deficiency symptoms:
- Brittle Nails.
- Dry and rough skin.
- Poor hair health.
- Delayed wound healing.
- Frequent illness.
- Joint pain.
- Poor bone health.
- Bleeding gums.
- Weak immunity.
- Mood swings.
- Inflammation in the body.
- Weight gain.
5. What is the ideal dose of Vitamin C?
Here are the requirements of Vitamin C, as given by ICMR:
- Children (10-18 yrs.): 55 - 70 mg/ day
- Adult Men: 80 mg/ day
- Adult Women: 65 mg/ day
- Pregnant Women: 80 mg/ day
- Lactating Women: 115 mg/ day