What is a Multivitamin for Elderly?
Multivitamins for elderly are vitamins and mineral supplements explicitly crafted for older adults considering their nutrition needs.
The nutritional needs evolve as we age; our bodies require more specific vitamins and minerals and lower amounts of some.
The elderly is a sensitive period of human life, and the focus on the issues and needs of this stage is necessary. Reduced appetite, the emergence of diseases with the increase in age, metabolic changes in the body are some factors that cause a decline in the quality of older people’s lives. These individuals are usually inflicted with physiological decline and co‑morbidities, usually encounter malnutrition hence need energy, protein, and more vitamins.
Multivitamins for Elderly: Benefits & Uses
Multivitamins for elderly can help fill gaps in the diet by supplementing vitamins and minerals our body needs to thrive.
- Keep energy levels up: Reduced appetite and imbalance in nutrient intake can result in deficiency of B-vitamins, essentially required energy metabolism. Multivitamins for elderly help meet the daily needs of these vitamins to keep senior citizens energized and remove fatigue.
- Smooth cognitive function: Memory decline, difficulty concentrating, focusing and memorizing are common issues senior citizens face. These issues may occur due to dietary inadequacy of nutrients like vitamin B12, niacin, vitamin B6, selenium, iron, zinc, etc., and multivitamins can help mitigate that.
- Keep joints and bones healthy: Studies have shown that the need for vitamin D increases after 50 because the absorption of nutrients through the skin decreases as we age. In addition, most senior citizens spend time indoors and can not get enough sunlight. Vitamin D assists in calcium absorption required for strong bones, prevent osteoporosis and tooth decay. Therefore, multivitamins packed with vitamin D, calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, and zinc are advantageous for senior citizens.
- Healthy heart functioning: Multivitamins for elderly contain nutrients like omega-3 fatty acids, folic acid, potassium and antioxidants that promote wholesome cardiovascular health and reduce heart disease risk.
How to use the right multivitamins for elderly?
One needs to be very careful while selecting a multivitamin for an older adult. First and foremost, it should contain the required nutrients that seniors must take like calcium, iron, folic acid, B-vitamins, vitamin D and C. It is advisable to carefully read the ingredient list, dosage, warnings, and allergen info. The product must be certified, tested and free from fillers or harmful additives.
If the senior citizen is on medications or suffers from any medical condition, seeking medical advice is necessary.
How to use multivitamins for elderly?
Multivitamins for seniors are available in various forms like tablets, capsules, syrups and gummies.
One can choose multivitamins and multi-minerals syrups or gummies if the older adult has difficulty swallowing tablets. However, syrups are more convenient as the person might also find chewing challenging.
Multivitamin capsules or tablets can be swallowed with water or beverage of choice. It is essential to take care of the dosage and never consume in excess.
Where to buy multivitamins for elderly?
If you want to buy the best multivitamins for elderly online, you have reached the right place. Nutrabay is a one-stop-shop that offers a range of products, including multivitamin tablets from numerous domestic and international brands. With Nutrabay, you never have to worry about the quality or genuineness as you will only 100% authentic supplements.
Is multivitamin for elderly safe to use?
Multivitamins for seniors are generally safe to consume, but it is good to consult a doctor before introducing any supplement in your daily diet. It is advisable not to exceed the recommended dosage to avoid any toxicity or side effects like:
- Gas formation
- Disturbed sleep
- Altered heart rate
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Why do senior citizens need multivitamins?
All senior citizens do not necessarily require multivitamins, but some conditions under which supplements may benefit are:
- Imbalanced diet due to reduced appetite.
- Food allergies.
- Older adults recovering from surgery or trauma.
- Older adults who do not have someone who can cook healthy, nutritious meals for them.
- Presence of medical conditions like diabetes, high blood pressure, rheumatoid arthritis, kidney and liver disease.
- Older adults on medications like anticoagulants, diuretics, etc.
2. Can older adults take multivitamins daily?
One can take a multivitamin supplement daily. However, following the recommended usage instructions mentioned on the pack is advisable as dosage may vary from brand to brand. If the doctor recommended some other schedule, stick to that for best results.
3. What is the best time to take multivitamins for elderly?
Usually, multivitamins are preferred with meals for better absorption. However, if the doctor recommends an empty stomach or any specific timing, stick to that for best results.