What is blueberry?
Blueberries are considered superfoods due to their high antioxidant content and myriad health benefits. Studies support that consuming blueberries is good for reducing heart disease risk, inflammation, oxidative stress, and cancer.
Due to these potential health benefits, blueberry extract supplements are gaining popularity as blueberries are not readily available throughout the year. They are a convenient and valuable alternative to fresh berries, and blueberry supplements are usually standardized for their content of antioxidants like anthocyanins.
Blueberry: Benefits & Uses
Below are some of the claimed health benefits of blueberry extract.
- Rich in antioxidants: Blueberry extract delivers a high content of primary antioxidants in blueberry - anthocyanins. They may help neutralize free radicals and reduce oxidative stress.
- Better athletic performance: Blueberries can accelerate muscle recovery by reducing post-workout muscle soreness, oxidative stress, and inflammation.
- Protect the heart: Studies have associated a higher anthocyanin intake with a reduced risk of coronary artery disease and stroke.
- May help reduce blood pressure: Anthocyanin in blueberries may also help lower high blood pressure and lower hypertension risk.
- Support brain health: Antioxidants in blueberries protect brain cells from inflammation and free radicals. They also help improve cognitive functioning and memory.
- Better eye health: Anthocyanins in blueberries may help improve vision health and lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration.
- Support immune health: Blueberries contain vitamin C and antioxidants that help improve the body's disease-fighting ability and chronic inflammation.
How does blueberry work?
Blueberry is a powerhouse of antioxidants like anthocyanins and plant compounds with potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. These attributes are primarily responsible for all the health benefits of consuming blueberries and their extract.
How to choose the right blueberry extract for you?
Blueberry extract is available as dietary supplements in oral strips, powder, capsules, and tablet forms. Here are a few tips for choosing the right blueberry extract.
- One can choose the form as per the ease of consumption.
- It is essential to check the extract's potency. Prefer a supplement with a higher standardized percentage of anthocyanins.
- Check the recommended dosage and serving size.
- Always opt for a supplement from a reputable brand which is lab-verified and FSSAI-approved.
- Consult a doctor if you have medical issues or are on regular medications.
How to use blueberry extract?
- It is advisable to consume the supplement as per the usage recommendations mentioned on the product. It is better not to exceed the same.
- One can mix the powdered form in shakes, smoothies and oatmeal bowls.
- One can also add powder to baked goods like homemade muffins and cakes to enhance the flavour.
Where to buy blueberry extract?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best blueberry in India. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out Nutrabay for the best quality at the most affordable blueberry price in India.
Is blueberry extract safe to use?
Blueberry extract is generally considered safe to use when taken as per the prescribed dosage. However, one may experience mild indigestion issues or nausea.
People taking medications and pregnant and lactating women should start taking blueberry extract only after consulting their doctor.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the best time to take blueberry extract?
One can take blueberry extract at any time of the day, for example, with meals, before a workout or at bedtime.
2. What is the ideal dosage of the blueberry extract?
There is no recommendation for blueberry extract by ICMR. Studies suggest that the dosage may vary between 500-1000 mg daily depending on the reason for intake and health goal.
3. Are there any blueberry extract side effects?
Blueberry is usually considered safe to use. However, some people might experience mild side effects like nausea, constipation or diarrhoea. It may interact with some medications like blood thinners; therefore, seeking medical advice is advisable.