What is Whey Protein?
Milk consists of approximately 20% whey (liquid part) and 80% casein protein (curdled component). The liquid part obtained undergoes several processes like ultra-microfiltration and spray drying to procure whey protein powder form.
Protein is an essential macronutrient that forms the component of our bones, muscles, brain, blood, enzymes, and hormones. Including whey protein in the diet is an excellent way to deliver a high-quality and nutrient-rich protein source to the body and boost overall well-being.
Whey Protein: Benefits & Uses
Due to its excellent and complete amino acid profile, whey protein is a boon for bodybuilders, gym-goers, endurance athletes like cyclists, runners, and all fitness lovers. It assists in enhancing the protein content by including a good-quality protein source in their diet.
Whey protein powder is readily available in supplements and can easily be included in the daily diet to reap the following health benefits.
1. Promote muscle building: Whey protein is a complete source of protein as it has all nine essential amino acids. Out of all, Leucine amino acid is present in abundance in whey protein. Leucine, fondly called an anabolic amino acid, significantly promotes muscle growth. Therefore, whey protein is ideal if your fitness goal includes building strong, lean muscles and gaining strength.
2. Support muscle recovery: After an intense workout, the body needs protein to repair the damaged muscles and recover. A whey protein shake post-workout is convenient and practical to recover muscles due to amino acids like BCAA and glutamine.
3. Easy to Digest: Every protein source has its amino acid-releasing ability. Whey protein is a fast-release protein; it gets rapidly digested and quickly supplies all essential amino acids and other nutrients needed to meet the body's needs.
4. Promote Weight Loss: People aiming to lose fat and maintain a healthy weight can consume whey protein powder daily. Protein takes a longer time to metabolize as compared to carbohydrates and fats. Therefore, whey protein prevents untimely food cravings, keeps us full for extended periods, and regulates appetite hormones. When combined with exercise, it also aids in improving overall body composition.
5. Immunity Building: Whey protein contains several components needed to form antibodies in our body. These antibodies fight against diseases and infections and stimulate the growth of immune cells. Also, whey protein increases the production of Glutathione – a powerful antioxidant, in our body. As a result, it helps recover and fight oxidative stress and inflammation after a strenuous workout session.
6. Boost Bone Health: For efficient workouts and training sessions, one must have strong bones. Poor bone health increases the risk of injury and stress fractures. Whey protein supplements may also prove good for bone health as they stimulate the growth of bone cells by activating osteoblasts.
7. Other Health Benefits: Apart from improving overall athletic performance, whey protein helps manage blood cholesterol and sugar levels. Studies also revealed that it has anti-cancer properties and beneficial post surgeries to recover swiftly.
Types of Whey Protein:
1. Whey Protein Concentrate: The protein concentration ranges between 80-85%, along with fats, carbohydrates (in the form of lactose), and minerals.
2. Whey Protein Isolate: Further processing of whey concentrate gives whey isolate reduced fat and lactose content. Whey protein isolate has better bioavailability with 90% protein content. Lesser lactose content makes it easily digestible and a safe option for a mildly-lactose intolerant person.
3. Whey Protein Hydrolyzed: Enzymatic hydrolysis of whey isolate yields hydrolyzed whey protein in which peptide chains get further broken down into individual amino acids, which means the body does not have to work much to digest them. This pre-digested form provides 90% rapidly-digesting pure whey protein.
How to choose the right Whey Protein for you?
It is always better to determine your daily protein requirement and fitness goal before choosing any protein supplement.
During a high-intensity workout for a ripped and shredded physique, isolate and hydrolyzed whey are better options. In addition, people aiming to gain weight can choose whey protein concentrate. Due to their lower lactose content, whey protein isolate and hydrolysate are also helpful for lactose-intolerant people.
A person aiming to consume protein for general well-being can choose whey protein supplements formulated explicitly to promote overall wellness and prevent nutritional deficiency.
Make sure to check the composition, nutritional facts, allergen info, and lab reports. Always buy from an authorized seller for an assured authentic protein supplement. The product should be certified and free from steroids, banned or prohibited substances.
How to use Whey Protein?
A person can take Whey protein with water or milk. When consumed with milk, the digestion time gets extended as milk also contains whey, casein, and other nutrients. Post an intense workout session, whey protein is recommended with water to reduce digestion time and increase absorption. You can enjoy whey protein powder with skimmed milk if consumed as a healthy mid-day meal or during breakfast. Whey protein can also fit as a bedtime beverage if anyone aims to accelerate recovery.
Where to buy Whey Protein?
Nutrabay is India's leading online website for buying certified and authentic protein supplements. You can choose from the Nutrabay brand, which is most popular among athletes and professional bodybuilders. Nutrabay offers an ample variety of whey protein powders. Nutrabay Pure Series is ideal for fitness lovers who prefer proteins without any flavours or additives and comes with the flexibility to add in foods or beverages of their choice. Nutrabay Gold Series is primarily for athletes looking for result-driven, high-quality proteins in tempting flavours. Do not worry about the prices, as one can avail of whey proteins with great discounts and offers at Nutrabay.com.
Which is the Best Whey Protein supplement?
Here are some of the best whey protein supplements recommended by professional athletes and bodybuilders because of the quality, manufacturing standards, and results.
- Nutrabay Pure 100% Whey Protein Isolate: Want a ripped and chiseled body? Choose pure whey isolate that offers 26.5g per 30g to provide a rich protein source for faster muscle recovery and growth. It is ideal for fitness lovers who prefer taking protein in its original form that is unsweetened and unflavoured.
- Nutrabay Pure 100% Whey Protein Concentrate: It provides 23.4 g pure whey concentrate per 30 g serving, free from added sugar and other additives. It offers high-quality proteins, prevents catabolism, and yields excellent results. Being unflavoured comes with the flexibility to consume any form or dish for complete recovery after an intense workout session.
- Nutrabay Gold 100% Whey Protein Concentrate: It is one of the best whey proteins in India. It provides superior-quality protein designed to add more power to your strenuous workouts. This protein supplement can regularly be taken by beginners as well, which aims to provide good-quality protein to fuel muscle growth and maintenance. The presence of digestive enzymes makes it easy to digest to supply amino acids without any abdominal discomfort.
- Nutrabay Gold 100% Whey Protein Isolate: Fan of flavoured whey isolates? This low-carb, low-fat, and high-protein formulation provides 25 g of pure whey isolate that is easily digestible and quickly absorbing. It is copious in all essential amino acids needed for fast muscle recovery, muscle protein synthesis, and lean muscle gain. It is one of the best protein powders for weight loss.
- Nutrabay Gold Tri-Blend Whey Protein: This protein blend benefits whey protein concentrate, isolate, and hydrolyzed for sustained protein supply. Each serving provides 25 grams of protein, aids in preventing muscle soreness, boosts muscle development, and maximizes athletic performance.
Is Whey Protein safe to use?
It is advisable not to consume whey protein in excess and must take the dosage as per requirement. It may cause indigestion issues among people with poor gut health, for whom protein powders with digestive enzymes are a better option. Lactose intolerants can opt for whey isolate or hydrolyze. Always purchase Whey protein supplements from a reliable, trusted source like Nutrabay because an authentic whey protein supplement does not cause any side effects and is entirely safe to consume.
Pregnant and lactating women should consult their gynaecologist before choosing any protein supplement.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Is it necessary to consume whey protein supplements?
Protein is essentially required by all of us, though the requirement varies depending on age, height, weight, gender, physical activity level, and many other factors. Athletes like bodybuilders, gym-goers, powerlifters, etc., have high protein requirements, which often become challenging to meet only through natural sources. Whey protein supplement is a quick, convenient and fruitful way to provide a high-quality protein source to the body. It acts as a plug-in to fill the gap between dietary intake and daily needs.
2. Does whey protein supplement contain steroids?
Whey protein powder is naturally free from steroids or banned substances. However, it is advisable to buy certified protein supplements from authorized sellers to ensure the product is adulterant-free and does not contain any prohibited ingredients.
3. Can diabetic people consume whey protein?
Whey protein is entirely safe to consume by people with diabetes. Several studies support the claim of whey protein's role in helping stabilize blood glucose levels and prevent fluctuations. However, it is wise to consult your doctor before opting for a protein supplement if there are any secondary medical conditions like kidney disorders, gout, or high uric acid levels.
4. What is the best time to consume whey protein?
One can use whey protein at any time during the day. However, people involved in exercise and sports should prefer consuming whey protein shakes post their workout or training session.
5. Can people on ketogenic diets consume whey protein?
Ketogenic diets are high-protein, high-fat diets with low carbs. Whey protein perfectly fits in keto meal patterns as it is high in protein and low in carbohydrate content.
6. What is the PDCAAS value of whey protein?
PDCAAS refers to Protein Digestibility Corrected Amino Acid Score, and the value of whey protein is 1. FAO and WHO declared a method in 1989 to measure the protein value in human nutrition that gave a score to all protein sources after determining their protein quality. Scores were one as the highest and 0 as the lowest.
7. Is whey protein safe for lactose intolerants?
Mildly-lactose intolerant people can consume whey protein isolate or hydrolyze as they have less carbohydrate (lactose) content. However, people severely allergic to lactose can opt for other protein alternatives like soy and plant protein instead of whey protein.