What is maca?
Maca, also known as Lepidium meyenii, is a plant grown in Peru. In traditional medicine, maca is a popular remedy to boost energy levels, enhance mood and improve reproductive health.
Maca is rich in protein and essential amino acids. It also contains some fats, antioxidants, alkaloids, vitamins and minerals.
Maca: Benefits & Uses
Here are a few claimed health benefits of maca root.
- Improve sexual function: Studies suggest maca root may improve mood and libido. It may enhance sexual function and overall sexual health.
- Improve fertility: Maca root may help improve fertility in men by increasing sperm count and motility.
- Boost energy levels: Since ancient times, people have used maca root to stay energized, boost mood, and alleviate symptoms of depression.
- Provide relief from menopausal symptoms: Experiencing health issues like hot flashes, mood swings, irritability, and sleep issues are common in women during menopause. Studies support that maca root may prove favourable in improving these symptoms.
How does maca root work?
Maca root contains beneficial compounds like glucosinolates which possess potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The hormone-balancing and fertility-improving ability is believed to be due to the presence of plant-based compounds like macamides and macaenes.
How to choose the right maca for you?
Maca root supplements are widely available, and one may consider these tips to choose the right supplement.
- One can choose the maca root supplement form as per the convenience to consume, like powder, capsule, or tablets.
- Maca root comes in various varieties, which vary in colour and effect. For example, yellow maca root is considered suitable for uplifting energy levels, while red maca may help improve hormone-related issues.
- Check the serving size and recommended dosage.
- One must prefer a good-quality supplement from a reputed brand which is certified and FSSAI-approved.
- The product should be free from unwanted additives and fillers.
How to use maca?
One can take maca root capsules or tablets as per the usage instructions mentioned in the pack. Maca powder can be added to smoothies, shakes and baked recipes for a nutty flavour.
It is advisable to avoid consuming maca in high doses.
Where to buy maca?
Nutrabay.com is India's most trusted leading online website for the best maca root extracts. Products sold on Nutrabay are 100% authentic as they are sourced either directly from the brands or official importers. We guarantee a hassle-free buying experience online with secure payment options. Check out Nutrabay for the best maca root price to feel great every day and build a perfectly healthy body.
Is maca safe to use?
Maca is usually considered safe to use when consumed within the recommended dosages. People intolerant or sensitive to cruciferous vegetables should consult an expert before taking maca.
If you are on hormone-related medications or suffer from any medical condition, seeking medical advice before starting maca root supplements is better.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. What is the best time to take maca?
One can take maca at any time of the day based on the health goal. One can take them in the morning, with meals or at bedtime. Active people can take maca before exercise.
2. What is the ideal dosage of maca?
There is no recommended maca dosage given by ICMR. However, studies suggest that it may vary between 500-1000 mg daily based on the reason for which it is used.
3. Are there any maca root side effects?
Maca is usually considered safe. However, one may experience mild side effects like insomnia, headache, stomach upset or bloating.
4. How long does maca take to show the effects?
The duration may vary from person to person, depending on the reason for which it is used. One can expect a few weeks to experience the desired benefit.