What is Omega-3?
Omega-3 is a type of essential fatty acid. Since our body can not make it, we must obtain it through diet or supplement.
Omega-3 fatty acids are good polyunsaturated fats and provide numerous health benefits. Some common omega-3 foods are fatty fish like salmon, sardine, cod, mackerel, krill, flaxseeds, walnuts, spirulina and chia seeds.
Omega-3 fish oil supplements are a great and effective alternative for people who do not prefer these dietary sources.
Omega-3: Benefits & Uses
Lets us discuss omega-3 fatty acids benefits for our health.
- Boost Heart Health: Omega-3 fatty acids play a vital role in keeping your heart healthy. They help manage blood cholesterol levels and inhibit the levels of "bad" or LDL cholesterol from rising. High cholesterol levels mean higher chances of coronary heart disease. They prevent our blood vessels from getting blocked and reduce the risk of heart disease or strokes.
- Minimize Muscle Soreness: If you are a gym-goer, athlete or bodybuilder, omega-3 fatty acids are perfect for getting rid of post-exercise muscle soreness. Studies have shown that EPA and DHA fatty acids help reduce muscle stiffness, soreness and promote faster recovery.
- Reduce Joint Pain: Studies suggest that Omega-3 fatty acids are potent anti-inflammatory which helps reduce joint pain and stiffness. Omega-3 fatty acids supplementation is beneficial for people with joint pain, arthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA).
- Cognitive Health: Omega-3 fatty acids, especially DHA, are considered beneficial for our brain health. They boost brain development, learning, memory and overall mental health.
- Sleep Quality: If you experience trouble sleeping, you might be omega-3 deficient. Omega-3 fatty acid DHA is linked with melatonin, a sleep hormone. Lack of omega-3 is associated with an increased risk of sleep issues. So you can include omega-3 fatty acids foods or omega-3 capsules in your diet to improve sleep health.
- Vision Health: Omega-3 fatty acid DHA forms an essential structural component of the retina; therefore, it is necessary for eye health. Lack of omega-3 fats increases the chances of macular degeneration, which reduces vision and can cause complete blindness in severe cases.
Omega-3 benefits list doesn't end here. Studies show that they are also helpful for strong bones and improve skin health. They also reduce anxiety, symptoms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD), a behavioural disorder in children, risk of prostate cancer, and lessen the chance of metabolic conditions like obesity and diabetes.
Omega-3 fatty acids are of three types:
- Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA): This omega-3 fatty acid is present in plant-based omega-3 sources like chia seeds, walnuts, flaxseeds, soybean and canola oil. Our body uses ALA for energy production. ALA gets converted to EPA for utilization, but the conversion rate is less.
- Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA): Most important omega-3 fatty acid primarily found in fatty fish and fish oil capsules. It is a chief structural component of the brain, the retina, and various other body parts. People who do not eat fish can opt for omega-3 supplements.
- Eicosapentaenoic Acid (EPA): Major sources of omega-3 fatty acids EPA are fatty fish, omega-3 eggs and fish oil pills. EPA fatty acid can prevent blood from clotting easily, reduce triglyceride levels, pain and swelling.
How to choose the right Omega-3 for you?
If you plan to buy an omega-3 supplement, here are some of the key points to consider.
- Check the source of omega-3 fatty acids. For example, if you want a vegan or plant-based omega-3 supplement, go for algal oil.
- Check Omega-3 fatty acid content per serving along with the ratio of EPA and DHA. If you are an active athlete or bodybuilder, omega-3 fish oil capsules with triple-strength are more beneficial.
- Omega-3 fatty acids supplements should be certified and free from heavy metals like mercury, arsenic, lead and cadmium.
- The product should be fresh as oil may turn rancid. Therefore, check the date of manufacture and expiry.
In case of any confusion, seek medical advice.
How to use Omega-3?
One can take Omega-3 tablets or capsules at any time of the day, preferably with meals. To avoid fishy burps or aftertaste, buy omega-3 pills or soft gels that are enteric-coated.
Where to Buy Omega-3?
You can visit Nutrabay.com to explore the best omega-3 capsules in India. We procure the products directly from brands or official importers. So for a hassle-free buying experience, secure online payment options and grab affordable omega-3 capsules price, visit Nutrabay.
Which is the best Omega-3?
Omega-3 requirements are different based on age and physical activity levels. Nutrabay has the best omega-3 fatty acid capsules for all.
- Nutrabay Pro Fish Oil Omega 3 (Triple Strength): It is the best omega-3 supplement for people with an active lifestyle and involved in intense workouts. Each serving provides 1000mg with triple strength of EPA and DHA. Perfect for combating everyday fatigue effectively, facilitating lean mass gain and minimizing injury risk during heavy workouts.
- Nutrabay Wellness Fish Oil Omega 3: The best wellness omega-3 supplement to fulfil daily needs and maintain overall vitality. It provides 1000mg omega-3 per capsule with an ideal EPA and DHA ratio. One can consume it to enjoy omega-3 capsules benefits like weight loss, healthy heart, joint, muscle and immunity. It is available at an affordable Omega-3 price.
Is Omega-3 safe to use?
Omega-3 supplements are safe to consume by anyone, including children and older adults. However, the dosage might vary depending on the requirement.
There are no known severe Omega-3 side effects. Pregnant, lactating women and people with prevailing medical conditions should always seek advice from a doctor.
People who are allergic to fish should be cautious. Omega-3 fatty acids tablets might interfere with certain medications like blood-thinners, anti-coagulants, and blood pressure medications. In addition, they might worsen symptoms among people with severe acid reflux issues.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. Can I consume Omega-3 supplements daily?
One can consume Omega-3 supplements daily for overall well-being and maintain a healthy Omega-3:6 ratio in the body. However, it is advisable to ask an expert to determine a safe limit.
2. What are the common signs of Omega-3 deficiency?
Skin dryness, dry eyes, joint pain, hair loss, fatigue, excessive ear wax, trouble in sleep, depression, mood fluctuations and poor concentration are common symptoms of Omega-3 deficiency.
3. How much Omega-3 can I consume per day?
For dietary intake, American Heart Association recommends eating two servings of fatty fish per week.
There are no recommended allowances for Omega-3 supplements, but numerous studies have determined a safe dosage due to the potential omega-3 fish oil benefits.
- For general well-being, Omega-3 dosage of 1000mg per day with EPA and DHA in the ratio of 3:2 is beneficial.
- For people with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA), 3000 mg omega-3 fats per day effectively reduce inflammation.
- For athletes and active people, 1500-2000 mg omega-3 fats per day reduce soreness, strengthen joints and reduce the risk of injury. Pro athletes can also opt for triple strength fish oil capsules.
- For kids, 500 mg omega-3 fats per day are sufficient to meet their developmental needs.
- Pregnant and lactating women should consult their gynaecologists to establish a suitable dosage.
No harmful consequences have been noted for a maximum intake of 5000 mg omega-3 fats per day.
4. Is it necessary to take Omega-3 supplements?
Our body essentially requires Omega-3 fatty acids. Plant-based omega-3 rich foods like walnuts, chia seeds, flaxseeds and edamame also contain omega-3 fats in the form of Alpha-Linolenic Acid (ALA). Our body converts ALA into the EPA or DHA for its utilization, but the conversion rate is less (approx. 15%). Due to this, vegetarians often lack omega-3 in their diet. Omega-3 fish oil provides an extra edge over plant-based sources, as the bioavailability is high.
Moreover, fish consumption in a diet daily might be challenging. Therefore, fish oil supplements are a must-buy to prevent nutritional inadequacy and keep our organs like the brain, heart, eyes, and skin healthy.