Peanuts are one of the healthiest nuts around us. They are packed with nutrients like proteins, dietary fibre, polyphenols, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. Studies revealed that peanuts are an excellent source of compounds like resveratrol, phenolic acids, flavonoids and phytosterols that block cholesterol absorption from the diet. They also contain coenzyme Q10 and all the twenty amino acids.
Peanuts are energy and nutrient-dense. Protein, fats, and dietary fibre are the major components of peanuts present in their most advantageous forms. The protein is plant-based, the dietary fibre is a complex carbohydrate, and the fat is unsaturated, all proved to be most suitable for good health.
According to American Peanut Council, peanuts are loaded with monounsaturated fats that are good fats and contain a heart-friendly combination of fatty acids.
Peanuts are a superb plant-based protein source containing all twenty amino acids with the highest amount of arginine. As the protein in peanuts is plant-based, it offers additional elements with positive health benefits like fibre and unique bioactive components, unlike animal protein.
According to Food and Drug Administration, peanuts are rich in dietary fibre, have a low glycemic load and are a source of complex carbs; hence does not raise blood sugar levels. Peanuts are listed as one of the best foods for people with type 2 diabetes by the American Diabetes Association.
Peanuts have been recognized as a great source of micronutrients like niacin, vitamin B1, B2, B5, B6, E, folate, copper, manganese, iron, zinc, phosphorus, selenium and magnesium.
Peanuts are lauded as a functional food due to several plant-based compounds that have additional health benefits. Studies support the presence of coenzyme Q10 in peanuts, which protects the heart and chlorogenic acid, caffeic acid, coumaric acid, flavonoids, resveratrol, known for their antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity.
Due to the potent health benefits, peanuts have been developed into products like peanut oil, peanut butter, peanut flour, peanut chutney and other snacks.
This blog will explicitly talk about peanut butter, one of the most popular nut butter worldwide. Irrespective of age and gender, peanut butter is loved by all. This healthy snack contributes to many different aspects of health.
Peanut Butter Benefits
Apart from the great taste, here are a few surprising health benefits of peanut butter.
- Heart-healthy: Consumption of peanut butter is beneficial to health due to higher unsaturated fatty acids content than saturated fatty acids. Peanut oil is naturally trans-fat free, cholesterol-free, and low in saturated fats. It exerts a cardio-protective effect by improving lipid profiles and decreasing bad LDL cholesterol.
- Assists in bodybuilding: As a rich source of protein, peanut butter is a fabulous snacking option for bodybuilders. It boosts energy, strengthens bones, promotes muscle growth, relieves muscle soreness and cramping.
- Anti-inflammatory: Studies say that eating peanut butter might help reduce inflammatory markers levels, ease symptoms of inflammation and improve overall health status.
- Cancer-preventing effects: Intake of peanut butter might also help fight against cancer. It contains resveratrol shown to cut off the blood supply to growing cancers and inhibit cancer cell growth.
- Weight management: Though peanut butter calories content is high, it can help achieve weight loss goals. The high protein and dietary fibre content keep you full for a longer time that helps maintain weight and control overeating. In contrast, one can also use peanut butter for weight gain when included in a calorie-rich diet.
- Strong bones: Peanut butter contains essential nutrients like iron, calcium and magnesium that promote vital bone health. Vitamin K in peanut butter also assists in the smoother transportation of calcium throughout the body.
Top 5 Peanut Butter to choose
Need a healthier peanut butter option? Here are a few recommendations to include in your shopping list.
- Nutrabay Wellness All-Natural Peanut Butter.
- Nutrabay Wellness Original Peanut Butter.
- Nutrabay Wellness Chocolate Peanut Butter.
- MyFitness Peanut Butter Crunchy, Original.
- MyFitness Peanut Butter, Chocolate Smooth.
Nutrabay Wellness All-Natural Peanut Butter: It is one of the best peanut butter in India that contains 100% roasted peanuts as its primary and single ingredient. With each bite, you can experience the taste of goodness and health without any added sugar, salt, trans fats, cholesterol, preservatives and additives. This unsweetened peanut butter is available in both creamy and crunchy variants and is priced reasonably for the quality and quantity.
Nutrabay Wellness Original Peanut Butter: This peanut butter is a tasty method to get instant energy with a feeling of fullness. Made with high-quality peanuts, it is safe for all due to its zero cholesterol and trans fat content, and you can enjoy it in both crunchy and creamy forms. It is high in nutrition, provides 9 grams of protein, 2 g dietary fibre and 16 grams of healthy fats per serve.
Nutrabay Wellness Chocolate Peanut Butter: There is nothing like protein-packed peanut butter in a chocolate flavour. This smooth peanut butter is creamy and tastes delicious, making it a must choice for those who prioritize flavour.
MyFitness Peanut Butter Crunchy, Original: MyFitness Peanut Butter is known for its quality and taste and is manufactured using an original American recipe. One of the best things about MyFitness products is that they are US FDA approved, ensuring the quality of the products remains as the brand claims.
MyFitness Peanut Butter, Chocolate Smooth: This creamy peanut butter is fantastic for those people who prefer taste over everything but don’t want to compromise with health. It is nutrient-rich peanut butter with the goodness of dark chocolate, providing 8 grams of protein and 16 grams of healthy fats in each serve of 32 grams.
To sum up, peanut butter is healthy, a great source of nutrition and an outstanding alternative to junk foods. Being a versatile food item, one can use it differently as per dietary preferences.