Women need protein too.
Some people tend to relate protein shakes with big and muscular bodies and wrongly assume that protein shakes aren’t meant for women.
It’s a misconception.
Females don’t have high testosterone levels; hence, they can’t become bulky as men do. Instead, protein can help women preserve their lean muscles, strengthen their bones and help them recover faster post-workout.
Protein is one of the most celebrated macro-nutrients when it comes to health and nutrition. It is essential for everyone, including women.
Protein is the building block of all muscles, hormones, and enzymes. Therefore, it must be a part of an everyday diet, especially if you exercise.
Protein & Calories
Every gram of protein we eat provides 4 calories.
Some top protein-rich foods are eggs, meat, chicken, seafood, pulses, legumes, dairy, nuts, soybean, green peas, broccoli, and seeds.
In addition, protein powders are a super healthy and convenient way to make your diet protein-rich.
Protein Requirements for Women
Below mentioned is the RDA for women as per ICMR. However, if you are into regular exercise, the requirement will vary depending upon exercise duration and intensity –
- Adult women: 46 grams per day
- Pregnant women: 56-68 grams per day
- Lactating women: 59-63 grams per day
It is advised to consult a doctor before taking protein powders during existing medical conditions like diabetes, liver, or kidney disorders.
Benefits of Protein for Women
These are some reasons why protein is necessary for women –
1. Promotes Muscle Health
Lean muscle tissue increases metabolism and fat-burning ability. Protein is essential for lean muscle growth to keep this process running optimally. In addition, protein breaks down in the body and uses amino acids to repair the tears, making muscles stronger. Studies suggest that the intake of protein supplements may boost muscle mass when paired with adequate training 1.
2. Better Weight Management
Protein is extremely important if you are trying to lose weight or improve body composition. It helps maintain a healthy body weight by boosting metabolism and reducing appetite and calorie intake 2. Protein shakes are excellent options to curb those mid-meal cravings and feel full for a long.
3. Strengthen Bones
Studies have shown that osteoporosis, characterized by low bone density and deterioration of bone mass, is widely prevalent in India. As per the statistics revealed by the ISBMR (Indian Society for Bone and Mineral Research), the prevalence of osteoporosis ranges between 8-62% in Indian women across different age groups. Besides vitamin D and calcium, we also need protein to increase bone mineral density 3 and reduce bone loss rates, as protein is a major component of bone tissue.
4. Promotes Nourished Hair, Nails, and Skin
Collagen is the most abundant protein in our body, accounting for our joint mobility and tight skin. Collagen considerably declines in the body with age, making it an essential nutrient for women4. Lack of protein is also associated with thin nails and hair loss, as we need keratin protein for beautiful and strong hair and nails.
5. Keeps Immune System Healthy
Strong immune health is the key to staying healthy. Antibodies, primary components of the immune system, are proteins, and protein deficiency means increased susceptibility to infections and diseases 5.
Signs of Protein Deficiency
These are the signs that every woman must not overlook as they could indicate protein deficiency.
- Muscle Loss
- Difficulty in losing weight
- Hair fall
- Thin and Brittle Nails
- Dry Skin
- Fatigue and Weakness
- Bone Pain
- Frequent Infections
- Increased sugar cravings
- Brain Fog and Mental Confusion
The Best Protein Powder for Women in 2022
Let’s have a look at some top-selling Nutrabay protein powders for women.
- Nutrabay Pure Whey Protein Concentrate
- Nutrabay Gold Whey Protein Isolate
- Nutrabay Pure Pea Protein Isolate
- Nutrabay Pure Soy Protein Isolate
- Nutrabay Wellness Vegan Plant Protein
Nutrabay Pure Whey Protein Concentrate
If you are a fan of raw whey protein, go for this protein supplement. It contains pure and minimally processed cross-flow microfiltered whey protein concentrate without artificial additives.
Nutrabay Gold Whey Protein Isolate
Another top-notch whey protein for women to consider with high protein and minimal fat and carb content. It provides 25 grams of high-quality whey protein per serving and is perfect specifically for those aiming to shred, lose fat and build a lean physique.
Nutrabay Pure Pea Protein Isolate
This plant-based protein provides 25 grams of pea protein without any artificial additives. It is hypoallergenic, made using natural ingredients, non-GMO, and free from harmful substances.
Nutrabay Pure Soy Protein Isolate
Another ideal vegan protein powder for women who rely on soy protein to meet their daily protein needs. Its impressive amino acid profile supports muscle gain and weight loss. It provides 26.2 grams of pure soy protein without added sugar and is lactose and gluten-free.
Nutrabay Wellness Vegan Plant Protein
Nutrabay Wellness Vegan Plant Protein is the best protein powder for women’s weight loss. This plant protein is made from peas, brown rice, and other health-boosting ingredients. It also provides the additional benefits of superfoods like moringa, flaxseeds, spirulina, and vitamins and minerals.References
- Pasiakos, S. M., McLellan, T. M., & Lieberman, H. R. (2014). The Effects of Protein Supplements on Muscle Mass, Strength, and Aerobic and Anaerobic Power in Healthy Adults: A Systematic Review. Sports Medicine, 45(1), 111–131. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40279-014-0242-2[↩]
- Frestedt, J. L., Zenk, J. L., Kuskowski, M. A., Ward, L. S., & Bastian, E. D. (2008). A whey-protein supplement increases fat loss and spares lean muscle in obese subjects: a randomized human clinical study. Nutrition &Amp; Metabolism, 5(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/1743-7075-5-8[↩]
- Wirunsawana, K., & Upala, S. (2018). Impact of Whey Protein on Bone Mineral Density: a Systemic Review and Meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Densitometry, 21(4), 597–598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jocd.2018.05.005[↩]
- Ablon, G. (2015). A 3-Month, Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Study Evaluating the Ability of an Extra-Strength Marine Protein Supplement to Promote Hair Growth and Decrease Shedding in Women with Self-Perceived Thinning Hair. Dermatology Research and Practice, 2015, 1–8. https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/841570[↩]
- Cruzat, V. F., Krause, M., & Newsholme, P. (2014). Amino acid supplementation and impact on immune function in the context of exercise. Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, 11(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12970-014-0061-8[↩]