Peanut butter has been in use for years, but people have recently grown fond of other kinds of nut butter like almond butter.
But this recent trend has raised a pretty valid question among consumers: which one is healthier.
If you are looking for that answer, you have landed on the right article.
In this piece, we will compare almond butter and peanut butter to determine which one is a healthier option for you.
Difference Between Almond Butter and Peanut Butter
Peanut butter is produced by grinding the roasted peanuts to get a smooth paste. Loaded with nutrients, peanut butter is one of the most loved nut butter worldwide.
Peanut butter majorly consists of peanuts, and the rest includes some additives like salt, honey, sugar, dates, jaggery, or oil added to improve the flavour and mouthfeel. Because of its low moisture content, peanut butter has an excellent shelf life and can be stored for a longer duration.
Almond butter is produced by grinding whole roasted almonds to form a paste. It is high in calories and other nutrients like healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamin E, and dietary fibre.
Almond butter has evolved as an excellent alternative to peanut butter. Not only is it insanely delicious, but incredibly nutritious as well. If you are allergic to peanuts or not fond of peanut butter, do try almond butter.
Almond Butter vs. Peanut Butter: Nutrition Facts
|NUTRIENTS (per 100 gm)||UNIT||ALMOND BUTTER||PEANUT BUTTER|
Almond and peanut butter share almost the same calorie content. Usually, one serving provides around 200 calories. So if the calorie load is a concerning factor, you can opt for any.
Peanut butter wins an extra point for its protein content compared to almond butter. Though peanuts are not a complete protein source, they are higher in protein than almonds. Go for peanut butter if you want a protein-rich nut butter or a healthy snack option.
Nut butters are known for their high healthy fat content. Almond and peanut butter are good sources of heart health-boosting monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFA).
People concerned over the fat content generally prefer almond butter due to its less saturated fat content than peanut butter. The saturated fat intake must form only 10% of your daily fat requirement. Overconsumption might increase the risk of cardiovascular disorders.
Therefore, almond butter has a better fatty acid profile than peanut butter. However, peanut butter does not cause any harm if consumed in moderation.
There is not much difference in the carbohydrate content of almond and peanut butter. One serving of unsweetened butter provides approximately 6-7 grams of carb.
However, the carbohydrate content may vary among the nut butter containing added sweeteners like sugar, dates, honey, jaggery, etc.
Peanuts contain little amount of naturally occurring sugar; therefore, natural peanut butter has some sugar than almond butter. However, the amount is significantly less.
- Dietary Fibre
Almost all nuts are a good source of dietary fibre, an essential nutrient to keep our digestive system and gut healthy.
Dietary fibre also helps manage weight by providing fullness and reducing food cravings. Almond butter again scores an extra point due to its high dietary fibre content compared to peanut butter.
- Vitamins & Minerals
Almond and peanut butter contain vitamins and minerals in abundance. They are a good source of micronutrients like calcium, iron, potassium, magnesium, vitamin E, biotin, zinc, etc. However, almond butter leads the race as the proportion is better than peanut butter.
Health Benefits of Almond Butter and Peanut Butter
Whether you are a fan of peanut butter or almond butter, these are some of the health benefits that both offer.
- Excellent energy sources
Almond and peanut butter are calorie-dense and provide around 200 calories in one tablespoon. Just one serving is good enough to boost your energy levels; however, moderation is the key, especially when included in a weight-loss diet.
Another perk of nut butter is the protein content. Peanut and almond butter are plant-based and dairy-free protein-rich foods. They can help fulfill daily protein needs and assist your bodybuilding and fitness goals.
- Packed with healthy fats
The majority of the calories of nut butter come from the fat content. And the good news is it is a healthy fat. Peanut butter and almond butter are rich in monounsaturated fatty acids that may help lower cholesterol levels and minimize heart disease risk.
A study1 conducted in 2018 observed that a daily intake of approximately 45 grams of almonds helps increase good cholesterol levels.
Almond butter and peanut butter possess anti-inflammatory properties2 that may help ease symptoms like pain, swelling, and redness.
- Support a healthy weight
Including peanut butter and almond butter in the regular diet can enhance your weight loss efforts. The dietary fibre and protein help curb cravings, keep us satiated, preserve muscle mass and boost fat loss.
A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that incorporating nuts and nut butter in the daily diet is associated with a decreased risk of obesity and weight gain3 .
- Promote strong bones
The nutrients present in almond butter and peanut butter like calcium, potassium, phosphorus, and magnesium help maintain bone mineral density and facilitate healthy bones.
Peanut butter and almond butter are enriched with plant compounds like resveratrol, coumaric acid, and vitamin E. These nutrients act as potent antioxidants in the body and neutralise the action of free radicals.
- Reduce the risk of metabolic disorders
Almond butter and peanut butter have been shown to reduce the incidence of metabolic disorders like diabetes, cancer, and obesity.
Studies suggest that they help improve insulin sensitivity4 , support fat loss, and protect our healthy cells from the unfavourable effect of free radicals.
Final Takeaway: Which is healthier – Almond Butter or Peanut Butter?
Studies have shown that both almond butter and peanut butter are health-boosting foods. Their impressive nutritional profile exerts benefits in their ways.
However, almond butter gains a slight extra edge when compared.
Both almond butter and peanut butter are excellent choices. Make sure to consider the points mentioned above before you buy nut butter.
Points to consider while buying nut butter
Consider these tips before buying if you plan to include nut butter in your diet.
- Read the ingredient list carefully. It should contain nuts as the primary ingredient.
- If you prefer sweetened peanut butter or almond butter, choose the one containing natural sweeteners like dates, honey, or jaggery instead of sugar.
- Check the content of added sugar, salt, cholesterol, and trans fats.
- The product must be certified, lab-tested, and FSSAI approved.
- Read the warnings mentioned on the pack if you are allergic to any foodstuff.
Top 5 Almond Butter and Peanut Butter Brands Available
Here is the list of best peanut butter in India to consider for your shopping list.
- Nutrabay Foods All-Natural Peanut Butter
- Nutrabay Foods Original Peanut Butter
- Nutrabay Foods Chocolate Peanut Butter
- MyFitness Original Peanut Butter Smooth
- YogaBar Crunchy Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter
Consider these if you are a fan of almond butter.
- The Butternut Co. Almond Butter Unsweetened
- The Butternut Co. Almond Butter No Sugar Chocolate
- Pintola All-Natural Almond Butter
- Happy Jars Unsweetened Almond Butter
- Urban Platter Blanched Almond Butter
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
1. How to make almond butter at home?
Almond butter is easy to make. Simply grind unsalted roasted almonds using a high-speed food processor till it gives a smooth paste.
2. How to use almond butter?
One can use almond butter as a spread on toast, add them to smoothies, and shakes, or make healthy protein bars, hummus, dips, sauces, and desserts.
3. Is almond butter or peanut butter better for weight loss?
Both almond butter and peanut butter can help us achieve our weight loss goals. They are packed with healthy fats, dietary fibre, and protein and can be an excellent addition to a weight-loss diet.
4. Can almond or peanut butter cause weight gain?
Consuming a high-calorie diet is essential to gaining weight. The high-calorie content of nut butter like peanut butter and almond butter can help meet these increased needs. One serving of nut butter provides around 200 kcal.
5. Are there any side effects of almond and peanut butter?
There are no side effects of consuming almond and peanut butter. However, referring to the nutrition facts and allergen info is good, especially if you are allergic to any food.
6. Which is healthier: peanut butter or almond butter?
Both offer a comprehensive range of health benefits, and one can opt for any as per the choice.
7. Why is peanut butter more popular than other almond butter?
Peanut butter has been fondly consumed for decades. It is healthy with a high protein content compared to other nut butter, widely available, and cost-effective.
8. Which is better, almonds or peanuts?
Both almonds and peanuts are healthy, but on comparing, almonds have a slightly better nutritional profile than peanuts.
9. Which is the healthiest type of peanut butter?
Healthy peanut butter will always be free from cholesterol, trans-fats, harmful additives, and preservatives without added sugar.
10. Is peanut butter bad for you?
Peanut butter is delicious and healthy with a lot of health benefits. However, It is not advisable for people allergic to peanuts.
11. Are all peanut butter equally healthy?
Not all peanut butters are healthy as they may vary in their ingredients and nutrition composition. Always choose a certified product free from harmful additives and preservatives.
12. Why are peanuts cheaper than almonds?
Peanuts are comparatively cheaper than other nuts like almonds as they are cheaper to grow, require minimal processing, and can grow in a broader range of climates.
13. Are eggs or peanut butter healthier?
Both are healthy, but eggs have a better nutritional profile than peanuts. Eggs are a complete protein source comprising all nine essential amino acids. Eggs contain more Vitamin A than peanuts, but peanuts have better vitamin E, phosphorus, and niacin content.
14. Which is the healthiest peanut butter available in India?
Try Nutrabay Foods All-Natural Peanut Butter made with premium quality 100% roasted peanuts without artificial additives or preservatives. The product is free from added sugar, salt, trans fat, and cholesterol. It is FSSAI approved and manufactured in a USFDA-certified facility.
- Kalita, S., Khandelwal, S., Madan, J., Pandya, H., Sesikeran, B., & Krishnaswamy, K. (2018). Almonds and Cardiovascular Health: A Review. Nutrients, 10(4), 468. https://doi.org/10.3390/nu10040468
- Liu, J. F., Liu, Y. H., Chen, C. M., Chang, W. H., & Chen, C. Y. O. (2012). The effect of almonds on inflammation and oxidative stress in Chinese patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus: a randomized crossover controlled feeding trial. European Journal of Nutrition, 52(3), 927–935. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00394-012-0400-y
- Bes-Rastrollo, M., Wedick, N. M., Martinez-Gonzalez, M. A., Li, T. Y., Sampson, L., & Hu, F. B. (2009). Prospective study of nut consumption, long-term weight change, and obesity risk in women. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 89(6), 1913–1919. https://doi.org/10.3945/ajcn.2008.27276
- Jiang, R. (2002b). Nut and Peanut Butter Consumption and Risk of Type 2 Diabetes in Women. JAMA, 288(20), 2554. https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.288.20.2554