Protein in milk is present in two forms – casein and whey protein. Casein protein accounts for 80% component of milk protein. Casein is highly nutritious and a complete protein source containing nine essential amino acids. Cottage cheese, mozzarella cheese, milk and Greek yoghurt are casein protein foods.
Milk casein protein supplies the body with all of the amino acids necessary to help build muscle. Casein protein gets digested more slowly than whey protein, so it helps reduce appetite and increase the feeling of fullness.
Casein exists in the form of micelles. Micellar casein is rich in nutrients like calcium and phosphorus, making it beneficial for bone and muscle health. Due to its potential to improve athletic performance, casein is popularly taken as a dietary supplement.
Casein Protein: Benefits
Casein protein is super healthy and provides numerous health benefits.
- Boost muscle growth: The amino acids in casein encourage muscle protein synthesis when combined with resistance training. It also enhances long-term muscle mass by reducing protein breakdown. Therefore, it is widely taken as a bedtime protein for bodybuilders and athletes for overnight sustained muscle recovery and maintenance.
- Stimulate fat loss: Several studies have shown that casein doubles muscle growth and triples the fat loss compared to whey. This anti-catabolic protein takes longer to digest, boost metabolism and keeps us satiated for long.
- Promote healthy blood pressure levels: Casein also benefits the heart by lowering blood pressure and reducing the formation of blood clots.
- Strong bones: Casein protein is a good source of calcium and phosphorus. It supports bone health by increasing intestinal calcium absorption and promoting bone mineralization.
- Support immune health: Researchers believe that casein possesses immunostimulatory properties that enhance mucosal immunity.
Casein Vs. Whey
|WHEY PROTEIN||CASEIN PROTEIN|
|Takes approx. 45-60 minutes to digest.||Takes approx. 6-8 hours to digest.|
|Most abundant amino acid – Leucine.||Most abundant amino acid – Glutamate.|
|Best time to take – post-workout.||Best time to take – bedtime.|
|Ideal for muscle growth.||Ideal for muscle maintenance.|
Are there any side effects of casein protein?
People allergic to casein or milk might experience indigestion symptoms like nausea, bloating, gas, digestive discomfort and abdominal pain. Although, people with mild lactose intolerance are usually able to digest casein. But casein can trigger lactose intolerance symptoms among people during severe lactose intolerance.
Which is the best casein protein in India?
Nutrabay Pure 100% Micellar Casein is the best choice if looking for a pure casein protein without any additives. It provides 25.9 grams of natural micellar casein without added flavour, colour, sweetener and preservatives.
In summary, casein is an excellent way to avoid metabolic catabolism and extend the protein synthesis rate. Casein shakes are a healthy alternative to binge eating. You can add a few nuts and fruits of your choice to make it power-packed wholesome goodness.