Soy protein extracted from soybeans is known for its multiple health benefits. The soybean is a legume containing no cholesterol, is low in saturated fat, and is a complete protein source.
Soy protein is a boon for you, especially if you prefer a vegan or plant-based diet, as it is incredibly nutritious. It is a superb source of dietary fibre, iron, calcium, zinc, B vitamins; and contains all nine essential amino acids.
Because of its high nutritional value, soy foods like soy milk, tofu, soy chunks, soy flour and soy protein powder as dietary supplements are widely consumed.
Soy Protein Benefits
Lets us discuss some incredible health benefits of soy protein.
- Support muscle health: Though each amino acid plays a vital role in muscle protein synthesis, branched-chain amino acids (BCAAs) are the most significant when it comes to muscle building. Due to its excellent amino acid profile, soy protein powder is helpful to build muscle and gain strength.
- Assist in weight loss: Soy protein is a fantastic option to consider to get leaner. Studies have shown that it helps lose body fat without losing muscle mass and promote a healthy weight.
- Reduce heart disease risk: Soy protein powder boost heart health by preventing harmful LDL cholesterol levels from rising and promoting healthy blood cholesterol and triglyceride profile.
- Healthy blood sugar levels: People who have diabetes can easily include soy protein in their diet as it contains soy isoflavones that prevent insulin resistance and improve insulin sensitivity.
- Ease menopausal symptoms: Plant-based nutrients – soy isoflavones present in soy proteins help balance calcium levels in the body, maintain stronger bones and quash the effects of menopause.
Types of Soy Protein
There are three types of soy protein available that one can consider.
- Soy protein concentrate: This protein powder is made from dehulled soybeans after removing the carbs. It is rich in protein and contains some dietary fibre which supports digestive health.
- Soy protein isolate: It contains superior quality soy protein powder with high protein content and better bioavailability. Soy protein isolate is more refined with fewer carbs and fats.
- Textured soy protein (TSP): This usually employs soy protein concentrate to make popular soy-based meals like soy chunks, soups, curries, etc.
Soy Protein Dosage
Although there is no recommended allowance of soy protein given by ICMR, studies suggest that 25-30 grams of soy protein per day are sufficient to enjoy health benefits. If you prefer a soy protein supplement, read the nutritional facts for dosage instructions.
Soy Protein Side Effects
Soy is a controversial food. Some people are fans of its health benefits, while some consider it a foe.
- Soy protein contains antinutrients called phytates that may interfere with zinc and iron absorption present in soy. However, it is not much of a concern if you consume a well-balanced diet containing other iron and zinc-rich foods.
- The isoflavones present in soy act as goitrogens and may interfere with thyroid function and the production of hormones. But some studies suggest that the effect is too mild.
- Soy protein is not considered suitable for men. It is assumed that phytoestrogens present in soy mimic oestrogen hormone activity in the body and reduce testosterone levels in men. Regardless, most research does not support this claim.
Whey vs Soy Protein – Which is Better?
Whey and soy protein are incredibly healthy. Both are rich in protein with an impressive amino acid profile and have a PDCAAS value of 1. But there is a notable difference between the two.
Whey protein is dairy-based and a fast-absorbing protein. In contrast, soy protein is plant-based and suitable for vegans, vegetarians and lactose intolerants. Soy protein is slightly slowly absorbed as compared to whey.
Soy protein contains no cholesterol, making it ideal for those concerned about their cholesterol levels. Therefore, we can say that both soy and whey protein help boost our health in their ways.
Which is the best soy protein supplement?
Nutrabay Pure 100% Soy Protein Isolate is India’s best soy protein supplement. It provides 26 g of high-quality soy protein per 30 g serve and is perfect for anyone aiming to increase daily protein intake with fewer calories. The product is free from artificial additives, flavours or preservatives and safe to consume by all.