What is Milk Thistle?
Milk thistle is a herb known for its medicinal properties, a powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. Milk thistle is also known as Silybum marianum, and its seeds contain the active ingredient – Silymarin that accounts for its health-boosting qualities.
Milk thistle is popularly recommended to manage liver-related health problems. Various studies have been conducted to probe the effects of milk thistle in improving medical conditions like liver cirrhosis, hepatitis, jaundice and gall bladder disorders.
Let’s review some of the claimed health benefits of milk thistle.
- Protect the liver: Milk thistle is one of the most popular recommended dietary supplements to boost liver function. Some studies support that milk thistle might help improve liver conditions like fatty liver disease, non-alcoholic fatty liver disease and liver cirrhosis. Credit goes to its active ingredient – Silymarin that fights free radicals and reduces liver inflammation.
- Blood sugar management: Scientists believe that milk thistle supplements might be beneficial for people with diabetes. The active ingredients in milk help prevent blood sugar fluctuations and manage type 2 diabetes. Healthy blood glucose levels are also vital for healthy kidney function.
- May support cancer treatment: Milk thistle contain another antioxidant – Silibinin that possesses anti-cancer properties. Therefore milk thistle extract might act as a supportive therapy during cancer treatment by inhibiting the growth of cancer cells.
- Support brain function: The effects of Silymarin have been studied on our brain health as well. Due to its ability to lessen oxidative stress, milk thistle might help prevent or delay age-related cognitive decline disorders like Alzheimer’s or Parkinson’s disease.
- Improve skin health: Ingredients in milk thistle, like flavonoids and antioxidants, may be an alternative medicine to acne by suppressing inflammation and oxidative stress.
- Boost immune health: Studies have found a positive effect on milk thistle on our immune function and ward off infections.
- Aid in digestion: Milk thistle might aid in better digestion by soothing intestinal inflammation. However, more conclusive studies are required to support the claim.
Milk Thistle Side Effects
Milk thistle capsules are widely consumed by bodybuilders, fitness lovers and people with liver conditions. There are no known notable adverse effects of milk thistle. However, some people might experience mild headaches, nausea, or abdominal discomfort. However, it is advisable to seek doctor advice during allergy, pregnancy, diabetes or any disease.
If you prefer taking milk thistle for general well-being, avoid exceeding the recommended dosage to enjoy the health benefits.
Which is the best milk thistle brand in India?
The best selling milk thistle product at Nutrabay is Nutrabay Wellness Milk Thistle Extract. It provides 1000 mg of pure milk thistle in vegan-friendly capsules. By serving as a powerful antioxidant and detoxifier, it strengthens liver function and helps eliminate toxins and impurities from the body. Nutrabay Wellness Milk Thistle Extract help boost metabolism and promote enhanced nutrient utilization. It is a must for fitness enthusiasts and bodybuilders who are into high-protein and calorie-rich diets.
To sum up, milk thistle is a safe herb and one of the most studied herbs with profound benefits on our liver, kidney and spleen. For maximum benefits, one can opt for milk thistle tablets or capsules available as dietary supplements. Milk thistle tea is also an excellent option to choose. However, it is good to take guidance from an expert before starting to use milk thistle.