Vitamins and minerals are incredibly essential for us. Statistics shared by WHO revealed that deficiency of micronutrients like vitamin D, iron, folic acid, vitamin B12, etc., is quite prevalent. Not consuming enough fruits and vegetables in the diet means lacking essential nutrients, resulting in an increased risk of cardiovascular diseases, bone disorders and other metabolic health conditions.
A multivitamin supplement can help you with this.
Multivitamin supplements contain a blend of essential vitamins and minerals and are a secure way to compensate for the nutrients our diets may lack. In addition, they may also contain amino acids, herb extracts and fatty acids.
Multivitamins are an instant way to meet our everyday demands of micronutrients. They are readily available in various forms like capsules, powders, tablets, gummies and syrups.
Do we all need a multivitamin?
Multivitamins are not required if the diet contains all essential vitamins and minerals. But at times, there are some conditions when these dietary supplements become necessary to satisfy the increased body needs. Here are a few examples.
- Vitamin A, iron, folic acid, and calcium requirements increase during the pregnancy and lactation phase.
- Active people, bodybuilders and athletes require specific nutrients in higher dosages to compensate for the loss during exercise and complete recovery.
- As we grow old, the metabolism reduces, affecting nutrient absorption through dietary sources. In addition, older adults might experience a decrease in appetite hence unable to deliver complete nutrition through diet.
- Similarly, the absorption of nutrients decreases during certain medical conditions and indigestion issues like leaky gut, Inflammatory Bowel Syndrome (IBS).
Under such situations, Multivitamin tablets are perfect for ensuring no shortfall of any nutrients and no nutritional deficiencies.
Health Benefits of Multivitamins
Let’s review some of the health benefits which one can expect while taking a multivitamin tablet.
- Boost energy levels: Vitamins like B1, B2 and B3 are involved in the energy metabolism process taking place inside the body. Lack of these nutrients directly affects our energy levels. Hence, if you constantly feel low on energy, consider taking a multivitamin and feel the difference.
- Strengthen immune health: Multivitamin tablets contain nutrients like vitamin C, D, and E – potent antioxidants that support a healthy immune function.
- Preserve muscle strength: You must have observed that often bodybuilders and athletes prefer including multivitamin capsules in their supplement stack. Nutrients like calcium, iron, magnesium, potassium, phosphorus and many more help maintain muscle strength and protect muscles from free radical damage.
- Prevent muscle cramps: Our body loses water-soluble vitamins and electrolytes through sweat during humid weather conditions and intense workouts. Multivitamin supplements deliver these vitamins and minerals to support a healthy electrolytic balance and prevent muscle cramps.
- Support eye health: Multivitamin tablets provide critical nutrients like vitamin A, C, E and niacin needed for healthy eye function. You can also find multivitamin supplements fortified with nutrients like lutein and zeaxanthin that has been shown to protect against age-related degeneration of the retina.
- Healthy hair, nails and skin: If you experience frequent hair fall and chipped nails, it could be because of the nutritional deficiency of biotin, niacin, and vitamin C. Taking a multivitamin tablet might help cope with all these health issues.
- Improve brain function: Multivitamin capsules are packed with brain-boosting nutrients like niacin, vitamin B12, iron, folic acid and sometimes omega-3 fatty acids that encourage healthy cognitive function, protect nerve cells, reduce stress and uplift mood.
Multivitamin Tablets: Side Effects
Multivitamins are generally safe for long term use with no significant harmful effects. Some people might experience mild effects like nausea, abdominal discomfort or headache for the initial few days. One can take multivitamin tablets at any time of the day, preferably with meals.
Before buying any multivitamin supplement, it is good to read the nutrition label carefully. The nutrient content must not be more than 100% of recommended daily allowance.
A good multivitamin will always have the formulation as per the dietary guidelines. It must be free from allergens without any fillers or additives and tested for purity with highly bioavailable nutrients. The multivitamin dosage might vary from brand to brand, and it is advisable not to exceed the prescribed dosage to prevent excess intake.
Which are the best multivitamin tablets in India?
Here is the list of best multivitamins that you can consider.
Nutrabay Pro Multivitamin for Men: It is a best-selling multivitamin that offers a potent blend of 25 vitamins and minerals in vegan capsules. This daily multivitamin tailored explicitly for men is ideal for keeping your energy levels up and supporting heart, bone, and cognitive health.
MuscleTech Multivitamin: With every serving of MuscleTech Platinum Multivitamin, you get 18 vitamins and minerals, including vitamin A, C, E B6, and B12. It is formulated with advanced enzymes and mineral complexes for fitness enthusiasts, athletes, and anyone looking to support good health for peak performance.
MuscleBlaze MB-Vite Multivitamin: It contains a perfect blend of micronutrients to fulfil daily needs. The appropriate quantity of each nutrient contributes to higher energy levels, better metabolism and overall better health.
Universal Nutrition Daily Formula: Daily Formula is a basic yet highly effective multivitamin containing 23 required nutrients and a unique digestive enzyme complex to help enhance absorption. It provides everything that the active individual needs for optimal health without all the guesswork.
Carbamide Forte Multivitamin: With just one tablet a day, this multivitamin for men and women gives you 34 vitamins, minerals, natural extracts and antioxidants to help you achieve more from your day. In addition, you can enjoy the benefits of probiotics that also support better nutrient utilization in the body.
To conclude, multivitamins are dietary supplements that support optimal health along with the diet. If you think that your diet is inadequate and you cannot deliver the necessary nutrients in the required amount, go for a multivitamin. However, if you are currently on medications and suffer from any medical condition, it is advisable to seek medical advice before taking multivitamin tablets instead of self-medicating.