Maintaining the right weight doesn’t always refer to losing weight. Many people have the fitness goal of gaining weight, which might be challenging at times.
Weight gaining demands a dedicated diet and workout as per body needs. Those who desire to gain weight should focus on gaining muscle. It is usually healthier to acquire most of your weight as muscle rather than fat. If you are eating enough and still unable to achieve the desired result, you can consider including a weight gain powder in your diet.
Weight gain powders are effective as they provide the proper nutrition to gain weight while maintaining muscle mass.
Weight gain supplements are different from protein supplements. Typically, protein supplements are high in protein but low in carbs and fats. But weight gain powders are high in protein and carbohydrates with some healthy fats.
Health Benefits of taking Weight Gain Powder
Here are some of the gains of using weight gain supplements.
- Can help meet daily calorie needs: The most significant advantage of taking weight gainers is that they help fulfil our daily calories requirement. A hard gainer might need to consume more than 3500 calories per day. The high-calorie content of weight gain powders can help meet this target effectively.
- Packed with protein: Weight gain powders are specifically formulated to support a clean bulk. Usually, weight gain powders comprise complete protein sources like whey protein concentrate or isolate containing all essential amino acids. The macronutrients are added in a balanced ratio to feed the muscles to encourage muscle growth and maintain glycogen levels.
- Versatile to use: Weight gainers are designed to be used at any convenience. They are an excellent pre or post-workout shake, breakfast meal, midmeal snack or meal replacer. If you are using a high-calorie gainer that provides around 900 calories per serving, make sure that it has less fat content to prevent unwanted excess fat accumulation in the body. Combining protein with complex carbs provides the dual benefit of enhanced muscle recovery and restocking of depleted glycogen stores.
- Help prevent unhealthy food cravings: Weight gaining doesn’t mean bingeing on unhealthy foods just to increase the calorie load. It can consequence in fat gain, not muscle. Eating a balanced diet to gain weight ensures meeting nutritional needs and helps reduce unhealthy foods cravings.
- Provide additional nutrients: Besides proteins, carbohydrates and fats, weight gain powders also contain dietary fibre, digestive enzymes, vitamins and minerals. All these nutrients aid in keeping the gut healthy to support better digestion and nutrient utilization by the body.
List of Best Weight Gain Powders
Here are some of the popular protein powders for weight gain.
- Nutrabay Gold Mega Mass Gainer.
- Optimum Nutrition (ON) Serious Mass Gainer.
- GNC Weight Gainer.
- Dymatize Super Mass Gainer.
- MuscleTech Mass Gainer.
Nutrabay Gold Mega Mass Gainer: One of the best protein powders for weight gain for females and males. It contains a unique blend of complex carbs with multiple protein sources and MCTs without added sugar. The product is made of the best quality ingredients and is most suitable for weight and muscle mass gain.
Nutrition per 182 g serve
Calories: 711 kcal
Proteins: 40 grams
Carbs: 123 grams
Fats: 6.2 grams
Optimum Nutrition Serious Mass Weight Gain Powder: One of the most preferred weight gain powders for women and men containing protein and carbs in the ratio of 1:5 with added vitamins and minerals. It is very high in calories but not suitable for vegetarians or people with intolerances as it has egg and soy.
Nutrition per 334 g serve
Calories: 1243 kcal
Proteins: 50 grams
Carbs: 254 grams
Fats: 3 grams
GNC Weight Gainer: This supplement is another popular choice by fitness enthusiasts. If you are looking for a calorie-dense weight gainer, GNC weight gain powder is the right choice. Available with digestive enzymes, this supplement is easy to digest and does not cause an upset stomach. The carbohydrates are from a clean source, and the casein and whey supply amino acids so that body can synthesize the proteins effectively.
Nutrition per 485 g serve
Calories: 1860 kcal
Proteins: 50 grams
Carbs: 405 grams
Fats: 4.5 grams
Dymatize Super Mass Gainer: A high-quality mass and size gainer loaded with complete protein, BCAAs, calories, and other essential nutrients to help even the hardest gainers pack on muscle mass. The high carb and protein content with 17 vitamins and minerals help promote healthy muscle tissue, consistent recovery and balanced nutrition. In addition, it contains 1 gram creatine which is the perfect addition to a weight gainer because creatine works superbly in the presence of carbs.
Nutrition per 336 g serve
Calories: 1280 kcal
Proteins: 52 grams
Carbs: 242 grams
Fats: 10 grams
MuscleTech MassTech Extreme 2000: Another best protein powder for weight gain without side effects. It provides a whopping amount of calories and high-quality protein to maximize muscle and size gains. This mass gainer supplement also contains vitamins, minerals, MCTs and 10 grams of creatine to amplify strength and energy levels.
Nutrition per 499 g serve (when mixed with 590 ml of skim milk)
Calories: 2260 kcal
Proteins: 80 grams
Carbs: 471 grams
Fats: 6.5 grams