Protein is a fundamental component of the diet, irrespective of the kind of diet we prefer to follow. It is a component of every tissue in our body. Not only protein serves a role in muscle building, but it is required to synthesize hormones, enzymes, antibodies and support immune health.
It is quite evident that protein is the most celebrated macro compared to carbohydrates and fats these days. People have started focussing on good-quality sources to improve the protein quality of their diets.
Protein supplement is one of the healthiest and efficient protein sources to secure daily protein needs. In recent times, many bodybuilders, fitness enthusiasts and athletes resort to plant-based protein powders over standard whey or animal protein in their fitness journey.
Plant protein powder usually includes protein sources from green peas, legumes, soybean, chia seeds, quinoa, hemp seeds, spirulina, lentils and brown rice. It is a misconception that plant proteins lack essential amino acids. If you are willing to switch to plant-based protein powders, you will find ample variety offering high protein content having an impressive amino acid profile.
In addition, there are some additional advantages of taking plant-based protein powder, which we will discuss in detail in the next section.
Health Benefits of Plant Proteins
- Packed with phytonutrients: Phytonutrients refer to the compounds or elements present in the plant that promote good health. Plant-based protein powders provide additional benefits of these nutrients naturally and help us get closer to health goals.
- Rich in fibre: Plant sources of protein are rich in dietary fibre that promotes good gut health and better and smooth digestion.
- Boost muscle growth: If you are a fitness lover involved in regular exercise and prefer a protein-rich meal for post-workout muscle recovery, consider taking plant protein powder. It provides all the vital amino acids to build muscle, repair the damaged muscles and assist recovery.
- Promote weight loss: Plant protein powder aid in weight loss by providing fullness in fewer calories due to their high protein and dietary fibre content. They prevent frequent hunger cravings and encourage fat burning.
- Support immune health: Plant-based proteins do a fabulous job of boosting immunity. They protect us from infections and strengthen our immune function naturally.
- Vegan-friendly: Plant protein powders are among the top protein sources for a vegetarian or vegan diet. But it is advisable to read the ingredient list carefully before buying any protein powder if you are allergic to soy or gluten. Vegan people must pick the one that is clearly mentioned as vegan protein.
- Lactose-free: If you experience difficulty in digesting lactose or are severely allergic to it, then your gut will thank you for switching to plant protein powders. Since they are dairy-free, you can consume them freely.
Is plant protein better than animal protein?
There is no concrete reply to this as the topic is quite debatable based on multiple research studies.
Animal proteins have a more favourable amino acid profile, and one single source can provide all the required essential amino acids.
Plant proteins have an additional edge in vitamins, minerals, dietary fibre and phytonutrients. However, one single source may lack one or more amino acids. Therefore, if you plan to go for a plant protein, make sure to check the protein content per serve. It should preferably have multiple protein sources and must be a complete protein source containing all essential amino acids.
Both plant and animal protein have their benefits. A well-planned diet rich in nutrients and a healthy calorie range, whether animal-based or plant-based, will most likely lead to good health.
Which is the best plant-based protein powder?
Here is a quick guide to some of the leading plant protein powders to opt for.
Nutrabay Wellness Vegan Plant Protein: It is one of the best-selling plant protein powders made with pea protein, brown rice protein, along with superfoods, vitamins and minerals. The product contains no added sugar or harmful additives and is your perfect ally for everyday fitness.
Nutrabay Wellness All-Natural Plant Protein: Another high-quality vegan protein without artificial sweeteners, additives or preservatives. It provides 24 g protein per serve and an excellent amino acid profile. This plant protein is packed with superfoods like flaxseeds, spirulina and moringa.
Nutrabay Pure Soy Protein Isolate: This plant protein is suitable for fans of soy protein. Every serve provides 26.2 grams of high-quality soy protein isolate. Since it is unflavoured, it gives the flexibility to enjoy it in many high-protein recipes like shakes, smoothies, pancakes, bars, etc.
Nutrabay Pure Pea Protein Isolate: This 100% plant-based protein is sourced from pea and gives you all the nine essential amino acids in a single scoop. If you do not prefer soy, gluten or lactose, I highly recommend this plant protein powder. As it is made without any heavy metals, added sugar, or preservatives, you only get the best 100% vegan option for your body.
FastandUp Plant Protein: It provides 30 grams of plant protein isolate sourced from brown rice and yellow peas with a complete amino acid profile. India’s first Informed-Sport certified, this plant protein supplement provides 6 g BCAA, 6 g glutamine, and added coconut MCT and beetroot extract.
Plix Plant Protein: This product provides 25 g of vegan protein from a multi-source blend of pea protein and rice protein to support muscle growth and recovery. In addition, the presence of ingredients like grapeseed extract, lycopene, papain, and bromelain helps maintain an active lifestyle, digestive health and daily well-being.
To conclude, plant proteins are healthy, and studies have shown that the positive health benefits of plant foods are linked to dietary fibre, vitamins, minerals, and phytochemicals. In addition to plant-based protein powders, other plant protein good sources are nut butter, soy milk, tofu, tempeh, peas, pulses, broccoli, omega-3 fatty acids rich flaxseeds and many more. Plant proteins have been shown to reduce the risk of developing metabolic syndrome, diabetes management, cancer prevention, and weight management.
Hope this blog will help you make an informed decision and choose the best plant protein powder as per your liking and preference.